cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link V3 works well with BlueNRG2 when used from IDE like Keil uVision, but fails in BlueNRG1 ST-Link Utility

JLepi.1
Associate II

Hello,

I've started to suspect that something is not quite right with the BlueNRG-1 ST-Link Utility. I have a ST-Link V3 connected to STEVAL-IDB008V1M. I can flash and debug the module from Keil uVision5, but when I try to flash the module from BlueNRG Utility, I get "Can not connect to target!" error.

When I open the settings the SWD frequency shows "Old Firmware" (see attached image). When I go to Firmware update menu and click Decive Connect, I get "The content of the ST-Link is corrupt" error. ST-Link utility for STM32 works OK, including the Firmware update menu.

My ST-Link has the latest FW version V3.J7.M3.B5.S1. Version information of BlueNRG-1 ST-Link Utility is in attachments.

So in summary:

1. ST-Link with BlueNRG in Keil uVision 5 works
  2. ST-Link in STM32 ST-Link Utility works
  3. ST-Link in BlueNRG1 ST-Link Utility does not work

What could be the issue?

Edit: I checked from the logs and trace.log looks suspicious. It has lots of following errors: "The detected STM32 firmware version (V3.J0) does not support the SWCLK frequency selection. Default frequency kept.". See full log in the attachments.

2 REPLIES 2
JLepi.1
Associate II

Looks like BlueNRG-1 ST-Link Utility is obsolete and does not support ST-Link V3. Instead I found BlueNRG-X Flasher Utility, which works like a charm. Why this tool is not listed on the evaluation board page?

Yes. ST-Link V3 is known having compatible issues for the BlueNRG-1 ST-Link Utility.

From my understanding, this will not be fixed since ST-Link Utility will be obsolete.

I confirm that ST-Link Utility works with ST Link V2 at least.

BlueNRG-X Flasher Utility will be the superseder of BlueNRG ST-Link Utility, so it is kept maintained and fixing issues.

The information can be found in the BlueNRG-1 pages:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/wireless-transceivers-mcus-and-modules/bluetooth-bluetooth-low-energy/bluenrg-1.html#tools-software