cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication with Android and iOS and with cards

VShev.1
Associate

I need to implement a device that can simultaneously read cards and communicate with Android and iOS. You can advise the chip for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi VShev.1,

In case you don't insist on simultaneously (Using NFC and its implementations there is rarely a broadcast feature foreseen, also difficult to achieve from positioning perspective) this can be fulfilled by e.g. ST25R3916: It supports card emulation, so it can be read/communicate in this mode with apps in Iphone. For communicating with Android you can use either the same mode or make use of the HCE in Android. Using HCE (Host Based Card Emulation) the ST25R3916 could then act as Reader/Writer.

Best Regards, Ulysses

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi VShev.1,

In case you don't insist on simultaneously (Using NFC and its implementations there is rarely a broadcast feature foreseen, also difficult to achieve from positioning perspective) this can be fulfilled by e.g. ST25R3916: It supports card emulation, so it can be read/communicate in this mode with apps in Iphone. For communicating with Android you can use either the same mode or make use of the HCE in Android. Using HCE (Host Based Card Emulation) the ST25R3916 could then act as Reader/Writer.

Best Regards, Ulysses

VShev.1
Associate

I need the device to be able to determine what is in front of it and select the appropriate mode. Could you send an example of card emulation?

Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi VShev.1,

discriminating whether an Iphone or Android phone is in front of your reader may become a challenge. You may need to look into deep details of NFC. There are some implementation specifics which you may only receive from the manufacturer.

As basis for you I recommend to use X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 + NUCLEO-L476. As software I would recommend you to look at both X-CUBE-NFC6 and STSW-ST25R-LIB (STSW-ST25R016).

Best Regards, Ulysses