cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm using the LIS3DH. Do I need to provide a 90 mS delay between configuration of CTRL_REG1 and reading the OUT registers or the FIFO to insure stable output ?

JMatt
Associate II

I'm using the LIS3DH. The Application Note AN3308 specifies a 90 mS delay time between configuration and reading data in the suggested procedure for performing a self test, (p57 of DocID18198 Rev 3). The delay is, "... for stable output".  Once ODR is set or FIFO enabled, is a delay required to insure stable data? If so, how long of a delay is adequate? 90 mS eats up a lot of power while the LIS3DH is just sitting there. Would 5 mS or 0 mS be OK?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @JMatt​ ,

This 90ms delay refer to the Self Test condition only, which is sensible to small variation since the actuation force applied to the sensor (simulating a definite input acceleration) is huge. 

It is not necessary to wait such delay for a standard acquisition (continuous or FIFO mode).

Of course, you'll need 1/ODR to get a valid data after internal digital conversion. Moreover, it is a general recommendation to discard the first sample coming just after the register configuration.

For a general overview on the power-on timings, I suggest you to check the datasheet p.16 and 17 (following tables):

0693W000008wbqgQAA.pngIf my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @JMatt​ ,

This 90ms delay refer to the Self Test condition only, which is sensible to small variation since the actuation force applied to the sensor (simulating a definite input acceleration) is huge. 

It is not necessary to wait such delay for a standard acquisition (continuous or FIFO mode).

Of course, you'll need 1/ODR to get a valid data after internal digital conversion. Moreover, it is a general recommendation to discard the first sample coming just after the register configuration.

For a general overview on the power-on timings, I suggest you to check the datasheet p.16 and 17 (following tables):

0693W000008wbqgQAA.pngIf my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon

JMatt
Associate II

Thank you.