cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Profiler Warning "The measurement is taking too time"

FBuer.1
Associate II

Hello

I'm using a NUCLEO-STM32F446RE and a X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1. And the used Motor Profiler version is ver 1.3.2 (MC SDK 5.4.5).

I changed the IHM08M1 according to UM1996 page 6 (Removed Capacitors C3, C5 and C7, Set Jumpers JP1 and JP2 closed and J5 &J6 on 3-Sh side).

Additionally are on the IHM08M1 J9 open and JP3 closed.

The motor is attached to IHM08M1 with U on Out1, V on Out2 and W cable on Out3.

The NUCLEO-STM32F446RE Jumpers are configured as mentioned in UM1996 to JP1 open, JP6 closed and JP5 on E5V side.

The settings in the Motor Profiler are as in the Datasheet of the motor on

3 Pole Pairs,

4500 RPM Max Speed (motor's datasheet has this value as speed - no load)

16 Apk max Current (that's the Peak Current in the motor's datasheet)

48 V VBUS (the rated Voltage of the motor)

SM-PMSM Magnetic (assumed, as no Ld/Lq-ration is mentioned in the datasheet)

Running the Motor Profiler with this configuration gives after a while (in which the motor spinned and stopped a few times and the motor itself got quite hot) the warning "The measurement is taking too time.".

The same configuration was also tested with lower Max Speed (3500 as the rated Speed in the motor datasheet), but motor got too hot, so test was stopped.

Now my questions: What am I doing wrong? Is a motor with 48V rated Voltage not usable with IHM08M1? Is the jumper configuration wrong for my hardware setup (the info-tag in ST Motor Profiler doesn't mention the removal of the capacitors and says the control board shall be powered over USB)? Or what else could be the issue?

Any help is highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FBuer.1
Associate II

I found a possible solution: Removing the JP3 on X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1, as no Hall/Encoder is used and setting down the Max Current value in Motor Profiler to 3 Apk. I can't explain where I should have had the 3 Apk from, the motors ratedcurrent is 5.3 A and the unloaded current is less than 0.8A, according to datasheet of the motor.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FBuer.1
Associate II

I found a possible solution: Removing the JP3 on X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1, as no Hall/Encoder is used and setting down the Max Current value in Motor Profiler to 3 Apk. I can't explain where I should have had the 3 Apk from, the motors ratedcurrent is 5.3 A and the unloaded current is less than 0.8A, according to datasheet of the motor.

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @FBuer.1​ 

I move your question to #STM32 Motor Control​ topic where are managed questions related to STM32 MCSDK (including the profiler).

Best regards

Laurent Ca...

VGani.1
Associate II

Hi @FBuer.1​ ,

I am facing the same issue, but i have connected Hall signal to the motor and JP3 on ihm08m1 remains closed. So what can i do to solve the problem?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi VGani.1

You might should test the hardware. Later on I found out that on my IHM08M1 the IC which should deliver 15V for the gate-drivers was broken.

If you have an oscilloscope you can check the pins PA9, PA8 and PA10 if they create a PWM Signal, while the Motor Profiler is running. Once this works, check if the drivers (U20 - U22) create a signal on pin 6 OUT (check the drivers Datasheet). And last but not least, check if a Signal is on OUT1-OUT3 where the motor is connected.

Let me know if I can help you somehow.

Best regards