cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DSM Sourcing Difficulties

CMarc.3
Associate

Hi, so basically I am looking to source the IMU LSM6DSM. I see that it is out of stock almost everywhere. Is this device being discontinued? Why is it so hard to purchase?

If you have a more in-stock variant, with the same pinout, please let me know. I see that there are a bunch of LSM6DSxxxxxx variants but I'm not clear on what the differences are. They do have separate datasheets which worries me.

My overall design criteria is:

• Very low power (must operate on coin cell)
  • Vsupply = must stay alive below 2.2V
  • I2C interface
  • Wakeup on movement interrupt
  • Needs to be physically very small
  • Low cost

I may be willing to change to a different / more recent part if there is a compelling reason (such as stock shortages...)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

>> Why is it so hard to purchase?

For those not paying attention there is a world wide production bottleneck in the semiconductor space. More orders than production capacity.

There are a multitude of reasons, perhaps look at a Business News feed you trust.

Given the depth of back-orders, those with scheduled orders/commitments, and other lead time indicators, you should probably order now if you expect parts in Q3.

Retail distributors are likely to be the least equipped to handle this, and many vendors might just decline orders with 48-52 week lead times already, or have terms and non-refundable/returnable clauses.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

>> Why is it so hard to purchase?

For those not paying attention there is a world wide production bottleneck in the semiconductor space. More orders than production capacity.

There are a multitude of reasons, perhaps look at a Business News feed you trust.

Given the depth of back-orders, those with scheduled orders/commitments, and other lead time indicators, you should probably order now if you expect parts in Q3.

Retail distributors are likely to be the least equipped to handle this, and many vendors might just decline orders with 48-52 week lead times already, or have terms and non-refundable/returnable clauses.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
CMarc.3
Associate

I hadn't realized the bottleneck was affecting MEMS as well. Surprising.

VJaha.1
Associate II

Almost all ST IMU MEMS are out of stock and the estimated Lead time is 30-45 weeks.