cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring variables in a table in CubeMonitor

Hrishikesh
Senior

Hi, I need to monitor variables from my program in CubeMonitor. I was able to follow a few videos from Youtube and set up the values in a chart. However, that is a very clunky interface. Please note that I have zero experience with nodered.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello

A wiki has been created to explain how to log data to a csv file : How_to_log_data_in_a_.csv_file

It should be helpful if you want to use csv format.

If you just want to see some values in a dashboard, you can use the "single value" to extract one variable, and then display it in a text box. See "single value" wiki.

Best regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Clark Sann
Senior

What is your problem? I am using CubeMonitor to graph several variables from my program. Maybe I can help if you can tell me specifically what is going wrong? Have you looked at the Monitor wiki?

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mcu/wiki/Category:STM32CubeMonitor

Thank you and yes I did see the wiki. However, it only talks about listing data in a graph/chart. There is nothing there about writing it to other formats such as tables (which was possible with STM-Studio). I had posted his query on the node-red forum too and they suggested adding a debug node to see what data is being shown. Those screens are shown below. I do not how to channel this data to a table where the variables are rows and the column contains the value.

0693W000008wTijQAE.png0693W000008wTioQAE.png

Clark Sann
Senior

I was hoping you were having problems charting. That is easy. Everything else is hard...or maybe impossible.

Over the last 24 hours I have spent a lot of time trying to get my data to a CSV file. My problem is very similar to your problem. I have two variables and I want those two variables in the file.... var1, var2 LF.

Frankly, I am not sure it is possible. The messages from the MyVariables block is quite complex. And the data for each variable is in a separate message. I’m not sure it is possible to join the two messages into a single message. This needs to be done before both variables can be put into a CSV file.

It appears that the message structure is complex enough that ST had to creat a chartst node to be able to graph this data.

Here is something that might help. Look at the chart node...the one written by ST. The documentation on it is quite good. They explain the data format it is expecting. That is the format of the data coming from the processing node. Once you understand the format of the data, you might. E able to write a function to transfer the data from a particular message to the correct row of your chart.

What time zone are you in? I am in the US central zone. Would you be up to a few telephone or zoom calls to discuss this. I wonder if we worked together we might be able to accomplish what we both need and learn a lot about nodered at the same time.

One other thing, there are two ways to send data from your device...one way is non intrusive, the other way requires you to modify your code. Here is some information on this mode:

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mcu/wiki/STM32CubeMonitor:How_to_perform_an_acquisition_in_snapshot_mode

I may try this mode to see if it allows me to send multiple variables in the same message.

Hi, I'm currently based in the IST timezone. While I'd love to collaborate and learn, time is short right now and I am on a schedule. For now, I think I will use the Windows version of STM Studio (or Live variables in CubeIDE).

It is pretty sad that I need to learn a whole new programming framework just to watch variables. :pouting_face:

stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello

A wiki has been created to explain how to log data to a csv file : How_to_log_data_in_a_.csv_file

It should be helpful if you want to use csv format.

If you just want to see some values in a dashboard, you can use the "single value" to extract one variable, and then display it in a text box. See "single value" wiki.

Best regards