cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is MCSDK usable for bipolar servo stepper FOC project with current sensing and ABN encoder ?

PMarx.1
Associate

I check the options for a servo stepper project - either special controllers like Trinamic - or using standard processors. Coming more from general embedded scene (including ST32F411 based grbl Controller), I would need guidance in motor control specific things beyond the basics. MCSDK looks very promising in this. But I can only find non-stepper related documentation so I wonder if MCSDK is capable to support bipolar sensored FOC scenarios at all for non-rocket-scientists.

Can somebody point me to existing information about servo stepper possibilities at STM - ideally application note or tutorial ?

Thanks

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dario CUCCHI
Senior II

Hi @Peter M_2arx​  and welcome to the ST community !

I confirm that MCSDK is a configuration software that can be used only with three-phases brushless motors, so it cannot be used for bipolar stepper motors.

In the ST portfolio there are different stepper drivers which can implement accurate current control and integrates the management of speed profiles.

Have a look at these product pages:

Or, if you need to drive higher currents:

You can select among them which is the most suitable for your motor/application.

On the same webpages you can also find some application notes which can give you further information on how these devices work and how they control the stepper motor.

I hope you can find the information you are looking for.

All the best !

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Dario CUCCHI
Senior II

Hi @Peter M_2arx​  and welcome to the ST community !

I confirm that MCSDK is a configuration software that can be used only with three-phases brushless motors, so it cannot be used for bipolar stepper motors.

In the ST portfolio there are different stepper drivers which can implement accurate current control and integrates the management of speed profiles.

Have a look at these product pages:

Or, if you need to drive higher currents:

You can select among them which is the most suitable for your motor/application.

On the same webpages you can also find some application notes which can give you further information on how these devices work and how they control the stepper motor.

I hope you can find the information you are looking for.

All the best !