cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo STM32F767ZI getting No ST-LINK detected

BJohn.6
Associate II

Running Windows 10 latest version.

I recently (one week ago) updated STM32CubeIDE from 1.4.0 to 1.6.0, and all other related packages.

For several days I was able to successfully and build debug my code, then something happened.

Now when I request debug, I always get No ST-LINK detected!... etc.

However, using the ST-LINK utility, I can successfully download the *.bin file to the board, verify the download, and run the code. I think this verifies the hardware, cable, and driver, which claims to be STMicroelectronics v. 2.1.0.0.

I uninstalled and reinstalled everything STM, and the IDE lost the ability to import sample code (apparently because it thought it already had it, but did no longer have it, because I had also deleted the repository, just in case, and it did not contain anything irreplaceable anyway. Apparently uninstalling does not update the registry properly. I manually re-downloaded the sample code files, and that restored the ability to import sample code, but not the ability to debug .

Attempting to just run the code without debugging also has the ST-LINK problem.

I have made sure that the ST-LINK utility was not running during my attempts to test debugging.

I have not found any hints in the log files, but I don't know exactly where to look.

Something seems very broken, and I have run out of ideas.

3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

The F7 is picky when in WFI for debugger hot-plug. Try cold-plu by connecting under reset/

BJohn.6
Associate II

It is already set to connect under reset. Perhaps you meant manually, so I tried that but no change.

I have found another clue; there is an Info icon on the manage debug configurations page that says

"This debug configuration is associated to a target which is not promoting any debug device (or debug device not supported)"

There seems to be something wrong with the debug configuration toolchain, and I found a message to fix the toolchain, but the Toolchain Manager seems to already have the toolchain installed by Cube 1.6.0, and rejects any attempt to change it. I never did anything to this, but it worked before.

BJohn.6
Associate II

OK, most of the problems are solved.

It turns out that two USB ports on my computer don't work with the cube loader, even though they work fine with the ST-LINK utility, and with all USB memory devices..

They also don't work with an SDR that I have.

That said, there are still issues with Cube 1.6.0 and it's GDB.

GDB doesn't stop on main even though that is configured by default. GDB in Cube 1.5.1 does this correctly.

If you manually place a breakpoint on main, it still doesn't stop there, as it does with Cube 1.5.1..