cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn a non-CubeMX project into STM32CubeMX configurable?

eBirdman
Senior

This is 3 year old question coming back again in a hope that the way was found or newly implemented to turn any STM32 example project into the configurable one to use the advantage of STM32CubeMX tool. Again, as in the past, I don't see project configuration files in all the examples I looked into and once I imported the example project, the STM32CubeIDE does not even have means to launch CubeMX ... this icon only appears when a new project created using CubeMX...

Please anybody who knows any way to make the provided examples into the CubeMX configurable project without a thousand of clicks to manually match the newly create project with a working example, please let people know .

Thanks in advance

Vlad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello Vlad!

While more and more examples are .ioc aware and provides an .ioc as part of its example not all examples provides it.

If an example doesn't have a .ioc file then unfortunately you would need to create a new project and reverse engineer the example to get back to the same status. You would probably need to tune through the MX UI and copy and paste code in the USER CODE sections. It's a real pain but part of the legacy of STM32.

You can see which examples are .ioc aware and configurable and what version supports it through the Example Selector if you go to New -> STM32 project.

0693W000008wHyVQAU.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello Vlad!

While more and more examples are .ioc aware and provides an .ioc as part of its example not all examples provides it.

If an example doesn't have a .ioc file then unfortunately you would need to create a new project and reverse engineer the example to get back to the same status. You would probably need to tune through the MX UI and copy and paste code in the USER CODE sections. It's a real pain but part of the legacy of STM32.

You can see which examples are .ioc aware and configurable and what version supports it through the Example Selector if you go to New -> STM32 project.

0693W000008wHyVQAU.png

eBirdman
Senior

Thank you Marcus. Good information. All the examples I was interested in did not have .ioc flies and I missed these "configuration aware" flags in the new project examples list.

I appreciate you pointed me to this. Although it won't help me now with those drivers I need, but it gives a hope that STM will eventually create more new configurable examples (or convert from old examples) and users will find them in this shown list... it is surely easier and faster for the STM tools developers to convert their known library use examples to the CubeMX -aware examples than for inexperienced users to make such a conversion.

Thanks again Marcus,

Vlad