cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understand how to integrate MCU on custom PCB and program it.

JCorl.1
Senior

Hello. I have been messing around with the STMF407VG for a few weeks now using a discovery board. Been the steep learning curve but I think I have made significant progress on learning firmware development on it. I have gotten my code to be to a point where I wanted to have a custom PCB solution. I went ahead and looked at a few implementations of other STM32 dev boards and used that to help understand how to connect everything up.

I finally got my boards in the mail. Power seems to be okay to the target, I measured the power rails for all of the pins and looks okay. Both boot pins are grounded, and the reset line is held high. Though when I try to upload a blank project to my custom PCB, I get the error that there is "No device found on target". Only thing I can think of is that I must have miswired the port that connects to the ST LINK V2 I purchased. I never made a custom PCB with an ARM MCU before so this is my first go at it. I have attached a picture of the MCU section of the schematic. Is there perhaps some green horn mistake I made?

Any hints are welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JCorl.1
Senior

Well I feel silly, my adapter board was not making good connection. I jammed the connector in some more and now it connects successfully. Thank you both for being so quick to help though. This is why I keep using ST products, the forum is extremely helpful!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nothing jumping out immediately

Check orientation

Check voltages on VCAP pins, expecting around 1.25V

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
MM..1
Chief

In your schematics i dont see SWD interface for connect ST LINK V2. Seems you have JTAG exposed then in sw you need change connection method from SWD to JTAG.

But for next design i recommend use SWD interface.

Surely it would work either way, SWD is a subset of the JTAG pins.

You'd want an authentic ST-LINK/V2 where pin 1/2 at the lower 2.5V power the target side buffers in the debug pod.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I measure 1.263V for both Vcaps. I did need to make an adapter board. On my PCB, I have a 50mil spacing 20 pin connector, I made a breakout board to convert from 50mil to 100mil. It doubles the length from the programmer.

The target PCB.

The pinout on the target PCB, the adapter PCB pinout + schematic.

Open STLINK V2 pinout and connect only two signals and ground with simple wires, maybe your reduction have miss or swap pins .

You need only one GND , SWDIO , SWCLK green color

Do the ST-LINK Utilities correctly read/report the VTarget voltage?

Where would I find this shown? I do not see a spot for this.