cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After updating STM32CubeIde to 1.6.0 the FLASH Dimension increased

Jonny
Associate III

Hi,

I'm currently having a problem with the STM32CubeIDE software after updating it to 1.6.0.

Trying to compile a project I noticed that the final dimension in flash increase about 2000bytes.

The problem is that I found this because one of my projects now exceeds the maximum available FLASH space and I can't compile it anymore.

Someone else is having the same problem?

Is there any solution to it?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi Jonny,

This is "expected". In CubeIDE 1.6.0 we deploy a new toolchain version as default toolchain. Some projects will be smaller some larger. Default toolchain is now:

• GNU Tools for STM32, based on GNU Tools for Arm Embedded Processors 9-2020-q2-update 9.3.1 20200408 (release) 

In our mind following the community with respect to open-source components is important, hence we try to update Eclipse/CDT/JRE/GCC/... When we think it makes sense. This toolchain update was rolled already in 1.5 but only in the online repo for manual download by customer. Now, with CubeIDE 1.6.0, we make it the default toolchain bundled in the package and instead put the older toolchain in the online repo for manual download.

That said, you can use the Window > Preferences > STM32Cube > Toolchain Manager, to download the old toolchain and set it up as the default toolchain in your workspace. Refer to the new User Guide bundled with 1.6.0 for more details.

And let us know if you face any issues with this semi-new feature! 🙂

Jonny
Associate III

Wow thanks i never used the feature to switch the toolchain in the past.

It is pretty simple and now everything goes back to the previous situation.

When I will have some spare time I will try to understand where is the differences in compiling dimension with the new toolchain for sure

Thanks for your help and time

Best Regards

Jonny