cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for MEMS IMU that can measure impact level g's and rotation

JLloy.2
Associate

I am working on a biomedical research project to study how a head impact, such as in American Football, is transmitted through the brain.

To make this work, I need to embed the smallest IMUs into a synthetic brain. The IMUs need to be able to measure angular motion at 1000-2000 deg/s (no problem) and also be able to measure linear acceleration in the 200 - 400 g range.

After days of searching, I am unable to find any IMUs that meet this criteria.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks, John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi John @JLloy.2​ ,

I confirm you that the current best trade-off for an IMU with a mid-g accelerometer is the LSM6DSO32.

The high-g accelerometer (i.e. above 100g) are so far stand-alone products but not so much because the gyro would risk being damaged by those shocks (since IMUs can sustain up to 10.000g shocks), but because the gyro sensitivity will not be accurate at those linear acceleration intensities.

You could think to combine a stand alone gyro such as the L3GD20H, and a stand alone high-g accelerometer, such as the H3LIS331DLTR.

Should be the device you are looking for a medical-graded device?

Anyway, in case ST will introduce a new product with the characteristics you are requiring (it would be useful -but not strictly necessary- to have the related total addressable market and the business volume), we will notify it to you.

-Eleon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ons KOOLI
Senior III

Hi JLIoy.2,

Please see the iNEMO-Inertial Modules provided by ST.

I really hope this is helpful.

Best Regards,

Ons.

JLloy.2
Associate

Thank you. The INEMO IMUs would be perfect, but it seems max linear acceleration is only +/- 32g. I need 200-400g, such as the H3LIS331DLTR, combined with a gyro, but cannot find any such product.

Ons KOOLI
Senior III

Hi JLIoy.2,

Okay I will report your question about maximum range acceleration and provide you with the answer sooner.

Best Regards,

Ons.

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi John @JLloy.2​ ,

I confirm you that the current best trade-off for an IMU with a mid-g accelerometer is the LSM6DSO32.

The high-g accelerometer (i.e. above 100g) are so far stand-alone products but not so much because the gyro would risk being damaged by those shocks (since IMUs can sustain up to 10.000g shocks), but because the gyro sensitivity will not be accurate at those linear acceleration intensities.

You could think to combine a stand alone gyro such as the L3GD20H, and a stand alone high-g accelerometer, such as the H3LIS331DLTR.

Should be the device you are looking for a medical-graded device?

Anyway, in case ST will introduce a new product with the characteristics you are requiring (it would be useful -but not strictly necessary- to have the related total addressable market and the business volume), we will notify it to you.

-Eleon