cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STSPIN32F0A OTA Firmware Updates

CGibb.1
Associate II

Hi there,

I am implementing the STSPIN32F0A in an ESC design. I want to know if it is possible to use an on-board Bluetooth chip to do OTA firmware updates on the STSPIN32F0A?

If it is possible, could you give me a guide on how I would go about the connection between the two and what firmware requirements I would need to implement this?

I look forward to any advice anyone can offer me on this topic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @CGibb.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

You can use the STSPIN32F0A bootloader to load a new firmware using a Bluetooth module as an interface.

However there are some key points to consider:

• to load the new firmware via bootloader does not allow to do "recovery" in case the update is not successful;
  • the communication protocol should be managed by the Bluetooth module.

The BlueNRG-2 device might be right for you.

You will need to write the program to manage the OTA update and use the flash of the Bluetooth module as a buffer memo in case something goes wrong.

You can try to ask support in the Interface and Connectivity ICS Community.

I hope this post can help you; if so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @CGibb.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

You can use the STSPIN32F0A bootloader to load a new firmware using a Bluetooth module as an interface.

However there are some key points to consider:

• to load the new firmware via bootloader does not allow to do "recovery" in case the update is not successful;
  • the communication protocol should be managed by the Bluetooth module.

The BlueNRG-2 device might be right for you.

You will need to write the program to manage the OTA update and use the flash of the Bluetooth module as a buffer memo in case something goes wrong.

You can try to ask support in the Interface and Connectivity ICS Community.

I hope this post can help you; if so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".

CGibb.1
Associate II

Hi @Cristiana SCARAMEL​ ,

Thank you for your reply and the part suggestion. In order to use the STSPIN32F0A bootloader do I have to send the new firmware over USART communication from the Bluetooth chip or can I use another communication protocol like I2C to send the new firmware to the devices flash memory?

Thank you, you have been very helpful. I look forward to your response.

Hi @CGibb.1​ ,

The STSPIN32F0A bootloader is used to reprogram the Flash memory by using the USART on pins PA14/PA15.

For more details refer to application notes AN5123 😉

Hi @Cristiana SCARAMEL​ ,

Okay, so to use I2C I would have to write my own Bootloader for the STSPIN32F0A.

Thank you for all the helpful information!