cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32G0/G4 Accessory Debug Mode Firmware: Is it supported/ implemented within the USB PD firmware?

FaikN
Associate II

I have been using STM32G MCUs with USB PD Sink or Source application. Right now, I want to implement Debug Accessory Mode in either STM32G0 or G4 MCUs with SInk USB PD Application. Hence, i would like to use USB-C cable SBU and Data lines for MCU flashing.

When i created an example project and inspected the firmware, i found out that the SNK_ACCESORY is not defined and it is not within and cinfig file, even though i checked the box of CAD Debug within CubeIDE. When i inspected further, i found out in usbpd_def.h that the CAD_AccesorySupport is commented as not yet implemented. I would like to see if i can implement the Debug Accesory Mode by manually defining the SNK_ACCESSORY.

What are the steps i need to follow to implement this mode within STM PD3 Stack? Is there any further example project i can follow from one of these MCUs for Debug Accessory Mode application?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dominique
ST Employee

Dear Faik,

The detection of the Debug accessory has not been implemented inside our device example. But you are on the right way by looking around SNK_ACCESORY feature because it is a very similar detection mechanism.

The  difference is mainly on the resistor value:

0693W000008vwBwQAI.pngSo you can use as model the ACCESSORY detection to manage the DEBUG detection which is Rd detection on both CC lines. 

SNK_ACCESSORY state machine has not been delivered in any example however this feature has been internally validated with the USB-PD tester (Ellysis, MQP, Lecroy, GRL).

to return a DEBUG_ATTACH event to DPM application, you will have to forward the debug detection like this :

*pEvent = USBPD_CAD_EVENT_DEBUG;

And to catch the attachment inside the application

void USBPD_DPM_CADCallback(uint8_t PortNum, USBPD_CAD_EVENT State, CCxPin_TypeDef Cc)

{

#ifdef _TRACE

USBPD_TRACE_Add(USBPD_TRACE_CADEVENT, PortNum, (uint8_t)State, NULL, 0);

#endif /* _TRACE */

switch (State)

{

case USBPD_CAD_EVENT_DEBUG: // added event

// add you treatment here

break;

I invite you to share the code on github, we will do a review and integrate it into our deliveries

feel free to contact us if something is not enough clear.

Regards

Dominique

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Dominique
ST Employee

Dear Faik,

The detection of the Debug accessory has not been implemented inside our device example. But you are on the right way by looking around SNK_ACCESORY feature because it is a very similar detection mechanism.

The  difference is mainly on the resistor value:

0693W000008vwBwQAI.pngSo you can use as model the ACCESSORY detection to manage the DEBUG detection which is Rd detection on both CC lines. 

SNK_ACCESSORY state machine has not been delivered in any example however this feature has been internally validated with the USB-PD tester (Ellysis, MQP, Lecroy, GRL).

to return a DEBUG_ATTACH event to DPM application, you will have to forward the debug detection like this :

*pEvent = USBPD_CAD_EVENT_DEBUG;

And to catch the attachment inside the application

void USBPD_DPM_CADCallback(uint8_t PortNum, USBPD_CAD_EVENT State, CCxPin_TypeDef Cc)

{

#ifdef _TRACE

USBPD_TRACE_Add(USBPD_TRACE_CADEVENT, PortNum, (uint8_t)State, NULL, 0);

#endif /* _TRACE */

switch (State)

{

case USBPD_CAD_EVENT_DEBUG: // added event

// add you treatment here

break;

I invite you to share the code on github, we will do a review and integrate it into our deliveries

feel free to contact us if something is not enough clear.

Regards

Dominique