cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install stm32 vcp dirver silently, win8,7?

GSzen.1
Associate

Hi All,

I would like to install stm32 vcp dirver (version 1.5.0) silently, without asking any user interaction. I tried to start VCP_V1.5.0_Setup_W8_x64_64bits.exe with \S switch, in this case the installer is started, but it does not finish the proc.

Thanks

G

5 REPLIES 5
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

You may want to repackage the driver installer using this: https://github.com/pbatard/libwdi

-- pa

GSzen.1
Associate

Thanks Pavel,

Honestly I have no idea where to start ... This is a driver install library but my knowledge is not enough for it.

I need the standard VCP driver to be installed without asking the user to click next..next..finish

BR

G

Piranha
Chief II

You are trying to to the wrong thing. It is impossible to install a driver without getting administrative privileges at some point. The only exception would be a user with administrative privileges and UAC disabled, which is a special non-default and a pretty dangerous configuration.

Silent install is possible, if the driver package is signed with a good signature and publisher certificate is already installed.

Of course it is a major pain to get all this correctly.

That "Zadig" thing detours this for Win7 and Win8. It does require elevation.

Win10 is a different story, but the OP did not not ask about WIn10.

-- pa

@Piranha​ by the way, have you seen my PM?

@GSzen.1 The ST's driver is not a "standard driver". Only Win10 has a "standard" (aka in-box) VCP driver​ .

Though, version.txt in the ST's zip says that their driver is WHQL certified and available at Windows Update.

(I don't have a win7 machine handy, cannot check.)

If so this driver should be good for silent install, without the signing trick.

Extract the .inf .sys and .cer files from the package and install with some utility like pnputil, dpinst, devcon.

-- pa