cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIS3MDL going dead after few usage

RMish.1
Associate II

Hello everyone,

I need help regarding LIS3MDL magnetic sensor aka compass issue is i am using this sensor

on my custom made gps pcb which is then used by my quadcopter the issue is that it works fine at the very start but after few usage when i connect my drone multiple times it just go dead my quadcopter start to say bad compass health and as soon as i replace the LIS3MDL

it again goes back to normal and this is repetitive i have 15 drones and it's happening to all of them

before this i had used HMC5883 compass never faced any problem but LIS3MDL

seems to having some issue i am also attaching the schematic of my compass

PLEASE ANY HELP OR ANY INSIGHT WILL BE HELPFUL I AM STUCK HERE FOR MONTHS NOW

0693W000007Zc1FQAS.png

6 REPLIES 6
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @RMish.1​ ,

but does the LIS3MDL suddenly get stuck or does it begin to output random numbers?

In the first case, does the device recover after a soft / hard restart?

In the second case you should compensate by hand, since differently from the LIS2MDL, this device doesn't have unfortunately the magnetometer offset cancellation procedure.

A more question: which is the failure rate for this issue?

-Eleon

replying to first question it always remains stuck neither it able to recover by any method we have to replace it in order to make it work

second case never happened

failure rate is like out of 15 it happens on all the drones but it's not like it will fail instantly it will fail after few times of power cycling again and again

Hi @RMish.1​ ,

I'm wondering if it could be a soldering issue, or something related to the SMT process. Or maybe, the board is receiving some shocks and the soldering joints are not robust enough...

When you rework your board with a new LIS3MDL, do you use the same process as the previous one? And does the "reworked" device never fail after?

I have also another question related to the hardware connections: are Vdd and VddIO tied together in your schematic (I mean, are they the same +3.3V net, so that both lines share the decoupling capacitors)?

-Eleon

Rework devices also fail after some usage and we use the same process(mounting it with hot air station) to mount the device

for second question yes vdd and vdd io share the same 3.3v and gnd

Hi @RMish.1​ ,

is the soldering process in your line compliant with the JEDEC J-STD-020, as described in the datasheet p.14, or with the guidelines described in the TN0018 Technical note? I'm wondering if any damage can be caused by a soldering issue.

By the way, are the devices fully stuck or you could run the self test procedure (lis3mdl_self_test.c) on the fail parts, or on the good ones before they -probably- fail?

-Eleon

my lis3mdl is not responding until a hard power reset.

i have the lis3mdl run for more the 1hour with op mode as ultra power mode. it was hanging within 2 hour

i changed the power mode to low power mode for xy and z now the board is hanging after 20 hours.

why is the board getting hanged. it is recovered after a hard power reset only. but i cant do it everytime.. thats not the requirement