cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE 1.6.0 released

mattias norlander
ST Employee

STM32CubeIDE 1.6.0 was released this week on st.com as well as a in-tool update patch.

Caution: The in-tool update does not allow updating drivers and ST-LINK server tool. Full installer is required for this.

What is new in 1.6.0? (only some highlights)

• Target support updated in-sync with STM32Cube ecosystem in general. In particular:
    • Added support for additional STM32G0 and STM32WB series devices.
  • Integration of STM32CubeMX 6.2.0, STM32CubeProgrammer 2.7.0 and latest versions of various other STM32 deliverables.
  • Added Azure RTOS ThreadX debug support.
  • Toolchain manager changes
    • The Arm and Gnu Tools for STM32 toolchains based on GCC 9-2020-q2​ is the new default bundled and used toolchain in CubeIDE 1.6.0.
    • Toolchain manager extended to support using a locally installed 3rd party GCC toolchain.
  • Information Center updated with new Tools Panel for easy access/download of additional tools.
  • STM32CubeMX plug-in provides pinout compatible search feature
  • For MPU series :
    • Application / Library user land development
  • JRE updates
    • Moved to Java11
    • JRE is now distributed as plug-in allowing also in-tool update of JRE via P2

Main issues fixed in STM32CubeIDE 1.6.0

Only a sub-set of the many tickets closed are mentioned in the release note.

Known problems and limitations

Please refer to the release note.

Where do I Obtain CubeIDE 1.6.0?

• https://www.st.com/stm32cubeide
  • ... Or update your current installation of STM32CubeIDE using: Help > Check for updates
    • Caution: After updating STM32CubeIDE, the post-update restart fails. STM32CubeIDE must be restarted manually.
62 REPLIES 62
JSchn.4
Associate III

does it fix the egit problems?

Hi @JSchn.4​, 

Yes, the new version relies on a new JRE and Java11 which should resolve the eGit issues.

We ran into some issues yesterday when publishing other related Cube packages. Hence we had to "unpublish" STM32CubeIDE 1.6.0.

Our apologies for any inconvenience! 1.6.0 will soon be available again...

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Updated from v 1.5.1 today, on WIn10, from the IDE itself.

The update worked well, but here are some issues - in order of occurrence.

1 The update components are still unsigned :( At least, signature isn't recognized.

0693W000007Ze59QAC.png 

2 After update, the version in the Windows Registry still is 1.5.1., and the desktop shortcut still says 1.5.1.

Will affect these who detects the version using the registry.

3 After update, the ARM toolchain 9-2020-q2 is installed, but the previous 7-2018-q2 remains installed too.

This IMHO is good because users may want to keep the previous toolchain for existing projects.

Swapping the toolchain on existing project is the proverbial cheese-moving.

This is exactly what happened to my projects: toolchain changed to the new one.

And it won't let me select the 7-2018 although it sits on the disk.

The Toolchain manager thinks it is NOT installed and shows now this:

0693W000007Ze70QAC.png4 The change of project toolchain clobbered all my debug configurations.

Attempt to create new configuration (based on new toolchain) failed - it still demands the old toolchain for some reason, but Toolchain manager won't find it, as shown above.

5 In the .cproject file version 1.6.0 inserts extra empty line after every text line.

These who track changes of .cproject in version control will be puzzled.

Regards,

-- pa

Anguel
Senior

Update to 1.6.0 seems to show some strange error in my headless builds:

Stm32cubeidec:

Java was started but returned exit code=1

-Dorg.eclipse.cdt.core.console=org.eclipse.cdt.core.systemConsole

as well as:

Managed Build system manifest file error: Could not load icon "icons/chip.png".

@mattias norlander​ 

Well, does this mean I need to do a rollback to 1.5.x or just wait for the fixed version and install over 1.6.0?

JSchn.4
Associate III

Since I did not have too many individual configurations (debug, run, toolchain), I did not upgrade, but uninstalled the old version and re-installed the new version. Everything worked fine for me. But the egit test is still to come. Has anybody already tried it?

Hi Pavel.A,

1/ True, unfortunately. Things are moving, actually not as fast as we would like. Anyway this is not blocking at all.

2/ This is expected, uninstall.exe from install path is linked to the original version. If product update propagate the version to the registry then native uninstallation might be broken.

3-4/ Do you have any errors when trying to install gcc7 ? If so past them here, plus possibly your workspace log file (workspace/.metadata/.log).

Here is how it is supposed to work: select it and press Install button, let installation proceed into the background (see it in status bar at the bottom-right corner), restart STM32CubeIDE when prompted, and it should be there.

Then you can either set this version at STM32CubeIDE global level from the Toolchain Manager, or per project (see Project Properties > C/C++ Build > Settings > Tools Settings tab > MCU Toolchain).

5/ This is actually well known from upstream component (Eclipse/CDT), caused by the migration to Java11.

It should be solved when upgrading the Eclipse platform later this year.

Kind regards

No roll-back needed. It was the same identical package that was initially published/unpublished, that then later was re-published. So, no need do any rollback. Assuming I understand your question correctly?! If not, feel free to elaborate...

I don't quite understand what the problem was that made you republish.

I installed the update through the IDE notification. How can I check if I have the "latest" package?