cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended NT2016SF-32M-END5875A for STM32WL design

Martin.Sergio
Associate III

We design a new product where we use STM32WL microcontroller and in the datasheet ST is recommended to use NT2016SF-32M-END5875A

manufactured by NDK but we dont found it to buy.

Can you provide some distributors where we can buy this TCXO?

Can you provide other alternative TCXO to NT2016SF-32M-END5875A?

Thanks a lot and best regards

15 REPLIES 15
DedMoroz
Associate II

Did consider to use a regular 32Mhz HSE?

Martin.Sergio
Associate III

No, we have not considered using a a regular 32Mhz HSE because temperature variations will be constant, not only because the equipment will be outdoors, but also because the RF circuit produces temperature increases.

Hamilton DC
Associate III

Note that there is a global shortage of TCXO due to a fire at an Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM) factory in Japan. 

DedMoroz
Associate II

We designed a prototype with WLE5 without TCXO. The RF part not tuned at all and we got only 20m distance inside the building with 4db output, but I look forward for a better results. We also consider to change SUBGHZ_HSEOUTTRIMR values dynamically based on the outside temperature to keep the crystal tuned.

Hamilton DC
Associate III

If you're designing LoRa applications, then the recommendation is:

For high power applications (RFO_HP), use a TCXO instead of XO (crystal) as HSE clock source due to frequency drift issues.

For low power applications (RFO_LP), you can use an XO as HSE clock source with a thermal barrier on the PCB (no metal around the XO to reduce thermal conduction).

FZ_
Associate

We have encounter the same problem. Could someone from ST, recommend ano other VCTXCO to replace NT2016SF-32M-END5875A which is used in the EVB Nucleo. In our project as well, the temperature variation is very important. Using a regular 32MHz HSE, is not the best option.

Could this product be used as an alternative:

https://www.iqdfrequencyproducts.com/products/details/iqxt-205-2-1-01.pdf

Thanks.

phoenixSun35
Associate

@DedMoroz​ Try without XTAL caps. I have suffered for one week to recognise it.

Hi Hamilton,

thanks for your reply. Can you help me understand how much drift can be there if i used normal crystal? also i want to understand the maximum allowed PPM for the crystal in tolerance and stability for STM32WL. I have gone through the AN2867 , but it does not give me these questions answers.

My application will be outdoor and 22DBM module with 865MHz (Indian) frequency band.

kindly help.

regards

Ankush Agrawal

When designing for a LoRa application with low-power (RFO_LP) only, should the TCXO external HSE clock then be omitted completely? Or should the TCXO and XO back-up both use the XO as HSE? (i.e. just use the same crystal, NX2016SA-32MHz, for both)