cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shock Survivability of LSM6DSOTR of IoT device deployed in Field on ground surface

UKhan.2
Associate II

Hi,

We're planning to use LSM6DSOTR for shock and tilt detection in our IoT device. This device will be deployed in the field (on the surface of the ground) where cars can pass by it as well.

The reason we choose this is IMU because its low power and is less costly compared to Bosch's sensor ( which is power efficient but costly).

The question is, can we rely on the shock survivability of LSM6DSOTR? If not can you suggest a better alternate?

Regards,

Ukhan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @UKhan.2​ ,

LSM6DSO (and most of ST sensors) is qualified to survive shocks up to 10.000g, even if their maximum full scale is ±16g (so that the maximum shock they can measure is 16g along + or - direction). So it could be a good trade-off between the shock survivability and the accuracy needed for a good tilt measure. If you want to increase the shock detectability and the full scale, you could choose the LSM6DSO32, which goes up to 32g.

For completeness, if you are searching a device for an accurate (and high range) shock detection, I suggest the H3LIS331DL accelerometer, which can measure up to ±400g. This device, however, sacrifice the accuracy needed for a tilt measure.

Otherwise, if the priority is the tilt measure, you might use an inclinometer like IIS2ICLX, designed for accurate angle measurement.

Let me know if this can answer to your question and, in case, please select it as "best".

-Eleon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Javier1
Principal

why dont you place your Iot device inside a proper cage?

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @UKhan.2​ ,

LSM6DSO (and most of ST sensors) is qualified to survive shocks up to 10.000g, even if their maximum full scale is ±16g (so that the maximum shock they can measure is 16g along + or - direction). So it could be a good trade-off between the shock survivability and the accuracy needed for a good tilt measure. If you want to increase the shock detectability and the full scale, you could choose the LSM6DSO32, which goes up to 32g.

For completeness, if you are searching a device for an accurate (and high range) shock detection, I suggest the H3LIS331DL accelerometer, which can measure up to ±400g. This device, however, sacrifice the accuracy needed for a tilt measure.

Otherwise, if the priority is the tilt measure, you might use an inclinometer like IIS2ICLX, designed for accurate angle measurement.

Let me know if this can answer to your question and, in case, please select it as "best".

-Eleon

You're right but we have antennas in the design as well. So that makes it a little difficult.

Thanks alot.