Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeIDE permanently deletes all projects

franck23
Senior

CubeIDE 1.5.1

CubeMX 6.1.1

Just got all the projects + files in a folder permanently deleted by CubeIDE when creating a new project.

Permanently meaning that the files didn't go to the bin.

What happened is that, using CubeIDE, I tried to create a new project in a folder that already had folders containing other projects. I should have created a new folder for this project, but I didn't.

I then got a C:/ access denied message when CubeIDE tried to create the folder and when I clicked on OK, saw all the folders being deleted one by one (literally in front of my eyes), leaving only the new ".project" and ".ioc" files.

I am now using recovery software to try to save whatever is not corrupted, but it won't restore the folder structure so it is still going to be several days work to get the code running and tested (yes, I do have back-up, but more than a few days old).

ST, this is not a small bug!

Even if it happens only to few guys like me who forgot to create a new folder or have an access denied error, your IDE should not PERMANENTLY DELETE ALL FILES IN A FOLDER!!!

Unfortunately, this is not the first time it happens to me. I got a similar issue a few years ago after updating CubeIDE from v1.0.0 to v1.0.2 . I spent several days trying to find where was the problem. This IDE bug has since been corrected, but it looks like others are still present :(.

7 REPLIES 7

The "Nuke from Orbit" approach to problem/error resolution has been complained about here before, I just don't understand how this stuff passes muster with SW QA

Ambiguous messages about what the problem is, or what's going to happen next should NOT have OK/CANCEL options

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

0693W000007Z7XoQAK.jpg

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
MM..1
Chief II

Yesterday i have same erase full folder. My lucky is on testing machine, where i test new CubeIDE virus ....

For real work i recommend you use windows history files for project folder twice per day backup. Then you can recovery with two clicks.

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Could it be related to my answer promoted here: CubeIDE 1.5.1 Killer-feature stm32wb55 ?

If yes really take care to be aware of projects & workspace concepts ...

Ooo
Associate II

@Cartu38 OpenDev​ comment about issue analysis is fully valid. 

Obviously we are monitoring closely community feedback. Relying on we are committed to improve tools release after release.

Next STM32CubeIDE release will be delivered soon and will bring some extra project location sanity check helping end user experience preventing to face such bad situation.

Starting coming release we are going to prevent end user to ask for project creation if promoted location already host some material.

0693W000007Z7j1QAC.png

franck23
Senior

@Cartu38 OpenDev​ 

Similar to what you describe in the way that I tried to create a project in a folder that already had other folders. But, I didn't get to the "Delete project contents on disk" warning. I got a C:/ access denied error before that with the only option being "Cancel" (not even an OK/Cancel/Yarp).

And if I remember right, it was even "C/:/" access denied...

My guess is drawback of automation here.

Facing non correct project settings STM32CubeIDE is failing at a point. Realizing such automation may try to recover removing added already material by its own process. If clean up is done relying on common Eclipse API doing project deletion ... you may end up this poor situation ...

Automation is just not anticipating situation (not recommended by the way) where end user is not setting project following Eclipse community golden pratices.

According to me @Ooo​ answer reveals all such. We can always debate about then ....