cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new unit of STLINK V3SET received on 17/2/2021, - Cannot performs "Firmware upgrade" under STM32CubeProgrammer - Cannot "populate" its flash disk, 0MB, hangs for long time - Cannot connect even via UART option under STM32CubeProgrammer

Ricky Gai
Associate III

0693W000007Z16DQAS.jpg0693W000007Z15eQAC.jpg0693W000007Z15oQAC.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why does it need to populate? It is designed to provide a simple drag-n-drop for a binary file.

Why would it connect as a UART?

Probably crashed the driver stack at this point. Remove connection and reboot.

AV software or policies blocking USB Storage Devices? Performance or Remote Diagnostic Tools (Intel / DELL)?

Connected via a Hub or Docking Station?

Try using a different cable, rated for High Speed

Have only one application open the ST-LINK at a time.

It should really need updating out of the box

Download the Firmware Update application separately

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html

Click to get it into upgrade mode, it should enter its DFU mode and reenumerate.

Current version of Cube Programmer is v2.6.0, just click the "Get Software" button, don't fiddle with the version option

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeprog.html

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Why does it need to populate? It is designed to provide a simple drag-n-drop for a binary file.

AV software or policies blocking USB Storage Devices? Performance or Remote Diagnostic Tools (Intel / DELL)?

It should really need updating out of the box

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html

Click to get it into upgrade mode, it should enter its DFU mode and reenumerate.

Current version of Cube Programmer is v2.6.0, just click the "Get Software" button, don't fiddle with the version option

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeprog.html

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Ricky Gai
Associate III

• There is no physical USB disk drive of 1MB that allows me to drag-n-drop files as per your mentioned.

• Since STLINK is not detected but it has its COM port detected, so I try connect it via COM14 as shown on the picture, merely for trial-n-error.

• Already RESET, unplugged and re-plugged in many times.

• Yes via Hub, will try on standalone USB port and see, but the Hub is powered with two input voltage supplies, why there is a problem using Hub connection ?

• the ST-LINK V3SET specification mentioned is USB 2.0 only, so not connecting it to USB 3.0
  • already tested with different working USB cables that had been used for Arduino development previously.

• Just Microsoft default anti-virus, no third party antivirus software
  • which Windows policies are you referring to, please advise ?

• Yes

• en.stsw-link007_V2-37-26 - To upgrade firmware for ST-LINK V2, V2-1 only, you sure can be used for ST-LINK V3SET ?

• Yes, I am using v2.6.0 now

Additional Information:

• The STLINK V3SET is a new unit, first day received, tested immediately, result as mentioned.
  • Already tested, both USB cables are working on Arduino and had been used to connect this STLINK V3SET.
  • Tested using STLINK UTILITY, unable detect as well and standalone STLINK Upgrade.
  • Already checked Dupont cables/wires, all OK.

• STM32CubeProgrammer 2.5.0
  • ST-LINK Utility 4.6.0.0
  • STLinkUSBDriver.dll v5.1.2.0
  • ST-LINK_CLI.exe v3.6.0.0
  • Latest ( recent download ) en.stsw-link009 - USB driver for ST-LINK V2, V2-1, V3 and Nucleo boards
  • Microsoft Windows 10 x64 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.804), 16G RAM, nVidia 2070 GPU

I am returning this unit to Element14, to obtain a replacement later.

0693W000007Z2iwQAC.jpg

Thanks for the hint, actually I referred to the databrief PDF document which I downloaded on 16/2/2021, even now if you clicked on the "Download databrief" button, the document title is stated like picture shown below, that's why is confusing me:

I try to test using pure USB port from the PC motherboard, what I don't like is, the use of USB Hub is very common, by having limitation to use only via direct USB port, I have to unplug and replug the USB connection very often, where with Hub, is easier by switching it OFF/ON.

Anything wrong, I will get back to you. Thank you.

0693W000007Z2nXQAS.jpg

hi, here are what I found:

• After plugged in directly to a standalone USB port ( none USB HUB ), the flash drive shown up, the Firmware upgrade is done and upgraded to version V3JM2B4S1 either under STM32CubeProgrammer or STSW-LINK007.

• Under the flash drive DETAILS.TXT:

Version: V3J7M2B4S1

Build:  May 13 2020 17:07:49

• FAIL.TXT:

The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU

is the message FAIL.TXT any serious issues ?

• STLINK V3SET cannot works on USB HUB connection, as mentioned earlier, without the use of HUB, it will be very difficult as I have to unplug and re-plug the USB connector often, extends the isolated USB cable merely for this STLINK V3SET device, the PC is far from the bench working space, why the STLINK V3SET driver cannot support USB HUB connection ( even only one USB port is ON with two inputs voltage supplies ) ?

• However, I am still unable to establish a connection via STM32CubeProgrammer with the following configuration, the target MCU is STM32F103C8T6, I have pressed the RESET button then the "Connect" button, still failed.

• Please advise if there any error on connection ? ( I am using +5V DC external power input to power up the STM32F103C8T6 via its SWD interface ( Yellow is SWCLK, White is SWDIO ) and external +5V to Pin1 T_VCC, GND to Pin20 of CN2 JTAG connection ).

0693W000007Z2usQAC.jpg0693W000007Z2w5QAC.jpg 

• I noticed from the datasheet mentioned the COM is Red color, but sometime when I powered up the STLINK V3SET it auto turned to GREEN any reason but often is Red color always ?

0693W000007Z2vqQAC.jpg 

Please advise.

Houda GHABRI
ST Employee

Hi @Ricky Gai​ ,

Sorry for the delay.

Can you please try to use STLink utility instead of STM32CubePRogrammer to confirm if issue is related to CubePRogrammer or STLINK V3SET?

Try also to decrease the frequency to 3300 KHZ and tell me if you are able to connect?

Houda

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

If you use only tested agaonst a bluepill as target. keep in mind that a lot of clone float around and STLINKV3 only connects to genuine STM devices.

hi Houda,

Thanks for the feedback, apologizing I have returned the STLINK V3SET to Element14 already.

Yes, I used STLINK Utility and successfully updated to latest firmware for STLINK V3SET.

I also changed the frequency to 3300 kHz that time because STLINK V2 at 4000kHz works, but for STLINK V3SET 3300kHz, it failed to establish connection to the target STM32F103C8T6 clone board.

I will use Nucleo boards for learning the STM32 microcontrollers.

For STM32F103C8 clone board as alternative because I don't want to build something at the end is too expensive and cannot sell.

Thanks.

hi Uwe Bonnes,

Thanks for the feedback, I will temporarily focus on bluepill using STLINK V2 at the moment.

For understanding STM32, will use Nucleo Boards such as NUCLEO-F103RB or NUCLEO-F411RE as study platform.

Thanks.