cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the resonant frequency of LSM6DSOX?

Sudhir
Associate III

I would like know the max vibration frequency that I can monitor. The max ODR is 6666Hz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Sudhir​ ,

the theoretical maximum frequency for both accelerometer and gyroscope sensors (and for the combination of them inside an IMU) is defined by the Nyquist limit, i.e. should be ODR/2.

However, in some cases this theoretical upper limit is lowered by the first LPF filter, which scope is to filter the noise and increase the accuracy. Sometimes the MEMS resonance frequency is lower than the Nyquist limit, and for this reason an LPF filter (in addition to an anti-alias filter) is used before the digital interface.

In the case of the LSM6DSOX, the maximum frequency that can be accurately detected (i.e. the cutoff value of the LPF1) for the accelerometer is ODR/2 when the accelerometer is in high-performance mode, while is equal to 700 Hz when the accelerometer is in low-power or normal mode (see the application note AN5272 p. for further details) For the gyroscope the maximum bandwidth is 1441.8Hz (see datasheet or app note, p.26).

This is valid for the standard interface. There is however the possibility to use the OIS functionality, that increase the bandwidth at least for the gyro (described in the datasheet from p. 33 and in the app note, from p.23). In this configuration, the gyroscope ODR is selectable from 12.5 Hz up to 6.66 kHz: in this case, the low-pass filter (LPF1) is available if the auxiliary SPI is disabled.

-Eleon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Sudhir​ ,

the theoretical maximum frequency for both accelerometer and gyroscope sensors (and for the combination of them inside an IMU) is defined by the Nyquist limit, i.e. should be ODR/2.

However, in some cases this theoretical upper limit is lowered by the first LPF filter, which scope is to filter the noise and increase the accuracy. Sometimes the MEMS resonance frequency is lower than the Nyquist limit, and for this reason an LPF filter (in addition to an anti-alias filter) is used before the digital interface.

In the case of the LSM6DSOX, the maximum frequency that can be accurately detected (i.e. the cutoff value of the LPF1) for the accelerometer is ODR/2 when the accelerometer is in high-performance mode, while is equal to 700 Hz when the accelerometer is in low-power or normal mode (see the application note AN5272 p. for further details) For the gyroscope the maximum bandwidth is 1441.8Hz (see datasheet or app note, p.26).

This is valid for the standard interface. There is however the possibility to use the OIS functionality, that increase the bandwidth at least for the gyro (described in the datasheet from p. 33 and in the app note, from p.23). In this configuration, the gyroscope ODR is selectable from 12.5 Hz up to 6.66 kHz: in this case, the low-pass filter (LPF1) is available if the auxiliary SPI is disabled.

-Eleon

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Sudhir​ ,

was the answer exhaustive? If so, please select it as "best".

-Eleon