cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UART - Data corruption due to noisy receive line

TJosi.1
Associate

I found out in the errata of STM32G070 MCU (page: 12, section: 2.11.1) that: in UART mode with oversampling by 8 or 16 and with 1 or 2 stop bits, the received data may be corrupted if a glitch to zero shorter than the half-bit occurs on the receive line within the second half of the stop bit.

Workaround

None.

My UART configuration:

Baud Rate: 460800

Word Length: 8bits

Stop bits: 1

Oversampling: 16

1. Does this mean that if the stop bit goes zero during its second half (due to some glitch/noise), then, the data maybe corrupted?
  2. If so, how frequently can this occur if my application uses a FTDI TTL USB to UART cable to communicate with PC with some serial terminal (ex. Putty) ?
  3. Also, does changing the stop bits resolve this issue? The MCU supports 0.5 & 1.5 stop bits as well. Though some serial terminals doesn't seem to support non integer stop bits.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

1 and 3 - this is a user-driven forum with only casual ST presence. So we don't know more than you.

2 - This depends only on exact circumstances of your application. The FTDi transceiver won't glitch, so concentrate on your signal integrity, suppress radiated and conducted noise from ambient, consider ground current between your device and PC. There no single perfect solution.

JW