cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use S2LP transceiver IC with pulse interval encoding (PIE) other than Manchester and NRZ encoding schemes mentioned in the datasheet?

NAwari
Associate II

6 REPLIES 6
Winfred LU
ST Employee

PIE is not supported natively as far as i understand.

A possible option is to use the mode direct through GPIO, which the data will send directly to and/or receive directly from some GPIO.

But the controller (MCU) has to deal with the encoding/decoding.

NAwari
Associate II

If I understood you correctly, then one should do the encoding/decoding at MCU and send the encoded data for modulation to the S2LP IC? Does that mean one has to build a logic/circuit to convert data into PIE encoded data?

Right. It is because PIE is not supported.

To achieve the needed (unsupported) encoding schemes, the user may try to encode/decode manually, by customizing the data through GPIO.

NAwari
Associate II

Can then one use PWM output pins of STM32L152RE MCU to generate required encoding and then send data through GPIO to the encoder (where no inbuilt encoder is used) and pass it through modulation block?

I believe it is possible to disable all the encoding and decoding schemes from S2LP IC. Can you please comment on it?

>Can then one use PWM output pins of STM32L152RE MCU to generate required encoding

Maybe. I don't have the answer now.

The challenge here is that PWM encodes data into different duty cycles (%) but a single bit 0 and 1 both take the same amount of time,

however, PIE has different amount of time between 0 and 1.

NAwari
Associate II

Can you please also comment on "I believe it is possible to disable all the encoding and decoding schemes from S2LP IC?"