cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to distinguish between multiple debug probes?

HRose.3
Associate

Hello.

Firstly - thank you for a great tool.

My issue is that I am debugging several systems in parallell. The monitor is great for this. But I happends to have several ST-Link probes with serial numbers that ends with the same numbers. As I am adding more probes, it becomes impossible to tell them apart. The names all comes up with only the last digits of the serial number and no way to rename them. Am I missing something or will it be possible to have the complete serialnumber in the name?

Best regards

Hans Rosendahl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello.

I have done some check, and even if the tools displays only the last digit, it uses the full serial number internally. So you should be able to manage the probes properly.

What you can do : test with the "blink led" (button with a bulb). You will see the led of STLINK blinking and you can identify which probe is where. Then the tool should work properly.

I have not been able to test, as I don't have ST-LINK with the same ending digits. May be the clone have a strange numbering ?

Best regards

Stephane

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello

It seems that tools use only the last digits to manage the probes. I can check with my colleagues if changing the number is possible. What type of probes are you using ?

Stephane

Bootleg...

Does it use the UNIQUE ID of the STM32 doing the ST-LINKing?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Yes it looks so. The unique digits are in the middle of the string, not the last ones.

(solution is obvious)

-- pa

HRose.3
Associate

Thank you for your quick answer.

Currently I am using clone ST-LINK V2 probes. It makes sense if the tools only use the last digits, as the monitor actually connected to the wrong probe. Would there be any chance for making the tools use the whole serial number? Or - as you suggested - changing the serial number? It would be really powerfull to be able to monitor all mcu's in our system from one pc.

Hans

Hello.

I have done some check, and even if the tools displays only the last digit, it uses the full serial number internally. So you should be able to manage the probes properly.

What you can do : test with the "blink led" (button with a bulb). You will see the led of STLINK blinking and you can identify which probe is where. Then the tool should work properly.

I have not been able to test, as I don't have ST-LINK with the same ending digits. May be the clone have a strange numbering ?

Best regards

Stephane