cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No STM32 Target Found - custom board

UMoha.1
Associate

Hi guys, I'm starting from a bare STM32G070KB, and cannot for the life of me get it to connect.

I had this problem with an STM32G071CB but was able to solve it.

The problem I was having was that I couldn't get an ST-Link to read the chip on a breadboard.

I'm having the same problem with a G070KB now, and while I was able to solve the problem in my last post, I'm again at a dead end. I'm really sorry if I'm missing something obvious or asking what might be obvious questions here- I'm new to embedded systems. I've checked the spec sheets and getting started guide, nothing seems to indicate that I've set anything up incorrectly.

Here's my schematic: https://imgur.com/a/y27Dr3f

I'm using a LQFP32-to-DIP socket to interface with the chip, no soldering, so I know it's not a bad joint somewhere. I've tried with 3 different chips.

Things I've tried:

Tried pulling and shorting BOOT0 High and Low upon startup, no luck.

Tried manually resetting via the RST pin pulling Low, on startup and after startup, no luck.

With and without the 8MHz crystal

Using 3.3V from the ST-Link, and providing my own 3.3V with a LDO supplied with 5V.

Regardless of what I try, I get the following error in STM32CubeProgrammer:

12:19:03 : ST-LINK SN : 3837130012144D43574D4E00

12:19:03 : ST-LINK FW : V2J37S7

12:19:03 : Board : --

12:19:03 : Voltage : 3.16V

12:19:03 : Error: No STM32 target found!

I've got the appropriate capacitors on board, I've checked all the connections with a multimeter, the real-life breadboard setup is exactly as shown in the schematic.

I know my ST-Link works because it works for all my bluepills and my custom G071CB board. Sadly, the G070KB is what we've decided to use for our next stage prototype due to cost optimizations. It's frustrating that this exact setup works for all other chips, just not this one. Is there something different about the G070KB that I'm not realizing?

I really don't know what to try next. I know it's not the connections, the schematic seems to match other schematic examples I can see, I've tried all the same configurations I did with my STM32G071CB, but this G070KB is giving me lots of trouble. What is the exact setup I need to follow, step-by-step, to get this chip working?

1 REPLY 1

It could be that the chip is just not functioning.

The secondary signs-of-life method is to strap BOOT0 High and try to connect to a system loader UART, see AN2606, but likely PA9/PA10 USART1

From RealTerm in HEX mode send a 0x7F byte at 9600 8E1 (Even Parity) and see if you get an 0x79 response.

Check the current draw

Check the level on NRST

Check for chip orientation

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..