cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ecosystem for development on STM32WLE ?

SWenn.1
Senior III

Hello All...

I posted this in the MCU section and got no response so I figured I would ask here.

I am new to ST Micro tools and have never used them. My background has been hardware and I have been 'hacking' at code on MSP430FR for a good 10 years. I am used to Code Composer Studio and writing register level C code. This is a complete IDE with compiler, debugger, etc all wrapped up in one, free from TI.

I am interested in the new STM32WLE IC's for an upcoming prj.  My question is if I download just the CubeIDE and the CubeProgrammer is this enough to write, compile, link and debug on the STM32WLE? Also for flashing / debugging hardware is the STLINK-V3SET the correct tool?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jaroslav BECKA
ST Employee

Hello,

yes, STM32CubeIDE allows you to write, compile, link and debug on the STM32WLE.

It integrates STM32CubeMX which can be optionally used to generate initialization code.

STM32CubeProgrammer is a useful tool which can be used for programming, reading-out the memory, option bytes configuration, external memory programming

using flash loaders and some specific device tasks.

STM32CubeMonitor is a node-RED based tool for real-time variable monitoring. Especially useful for debugging applications,

where one cannot simply halt the execution.

ST development boards feature an on-board ST-LINK, so no additional debug probe is needed.

You may want to have a look at nucleo-WL55JC (please note this is a development board with a dual-core SoC).

Otherwise, STLINK-V3SET is the right tool.

LoRaWAN and Sigfox stacks are open stacks, freely available on st.com.

Wireless-MBUS is provided in partnership with Stackforce.

You should download STM32CubeWL package which contains a set of CMSIS header files, HAL & LL peripheral drivers, middleware template projects as well as many example for all main toolchains.

This is indeed not the right section. STM32 MCUs is the correct one.

Have fun with STM32WL!

Best regards

Jaroslav

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @SWenn.1​ ,

no need to duplicate this post in STM32 MPUs (which address STM32MP15x familly)

STM32 MCUs was correect and I just add topic STM32WL to your initial post.

I noticed you posted initial message less than 1 day ago .. no so long.

This Community works with free participation of everyone. It can take few days prior to get an answer.

Else, I will let WL expert comment further in your initial post but AFAIK, yes the tools you mentioned will do the expected job.

See :

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32wlex.html#tools-software

Hope it help,

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Jaroslav BECKA
ST Employee

Hello,

yes, STM32CubeIDE allows you to write, compile, link and debug on the STM32WLE.

It integrates STM32CubeMX which can be optionally used to generate initialization code.

STM32CubeProgrammer is a useful tool which can be used for programming, reading-out the memory, option bytes configuration, external memory programming

using flash loaders and some specific device tasks.

STM32CubeMonitor is a node-RED based tool for real-time variable monitoring. Especially useful for debugging applications,

where one cannot simply halt the execution.

ST development boards feature an on-board ST-LINK, so no additional debug probe is needed.

You may want to have a look at nucleo-WL55JC (please note this is a development board with a dual-core SoC).

Otherwise, STLINK-V3SET is the right tool.

LoRaWAN and Sigfox stacks are open stacks, freely available on st.com.

Wireless-MBUS is provided in partnership with Stackforce.

You should download STM32CubeWL package which contains a set of CMSIS header files, HAL & LL peripheral drivers, middleware template projects as well as many example for all main toolchains.

This is indeed not the right section. STM32 MCUs is the correct one.

Have fun with STM32WL!

Best regards

Jaroslav

SWenn.1
Senior III

Thank you .....

That answers my questions.

Steve

Hello @SWenn.1​,

Please to mark the good answer as best.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Mohamed Aymen.