cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to port a firmware written for L4 series controller to L5 controller ? Both the controllers are pin to pin compatible.

VNara.1
Associate II

I have a firmware written for STM32L496VG. I wanted the same firmware to work for STM32L562VE. I just checked that they both are pin to pin compatible and of course the register addresses are different, along with the clock configurations to be done.

Looking into the data sheet and mapping every other peripheral registers from L4 to L5 is one conventional way. But is there any other way to do that in a relatively quicker way ? will just replacing STM files (which contains the base addresses of registers) would do the trick ?

Kindly guide me on this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @VNara.1​ ,

I recommend you to refer to the application note AN5138:  "Migrating from STM32L4 and STM32L4+ to STM32L5 Series microcontrollers",  which provides a guideline to migrate from the STM32L4 or STM32L4+ Series, to the STM32L5 Series.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @VNara.1​ ,

I recommend you to refer to the application note AN5138:  "Migrating from STM32L4 and STM32L4+ to STM32L5 Series microcontrollers",  which provides a guideline to migrate from the STM32L4 or STM32L4+ Series, to the STM32L5 Series.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

If you used the HAL, and your code was reasonably well abstracted, in might take 1/2 a day or so to migrate.

If you did bare metal register level coding, clearly that will be more funner.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..