cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to config UART in STM32F446?

HXiao.1
Associate II

I'm using STM32F446, I found one issue.

1. In STM32F4xx_hal_uart.c, it stated that.

==============================================================================

##### How to use this driver #####

==============================================================================

[..]

The UART HAL driver can be used as follows, pay attention to the last line about UART pins, it's stated that RX as alternate function input.

(#) Declare a UART_HandleTypeDef handle structure (eg. UART_HandleTypeDef huart).

(#) Initialize the UART low level resources by implementing the HAL_UART_MspInit() API:

(##) Enable the USARTx interface clock.

(##) UART pins configuration:

(+++) Enable the clock for the UART GPIOs.

(+++) Configure these UART pins (TX as alternate function pull-up, RX as alternate function Input).

1. When I generate code by CubeMX, the generated code in function HAL_UART_MspInit, GPIO_PIN_3 is RX, and GPIO_PIN_2 is TX, but both of them are configured the same. It's different from the description in STM32F4xx_hal_uart.c. I tested, and found that the CubeMX generated code works. If I configure GPIO_PIN_3 as GPIO_MODE_INPUT, UART does not work, is the comment in STM32F4xx_hal_uart.c wrong?

GPIO_InitStruct.Pin = GPIO_PIN_2 | GPIO_PIN_3;

GPIO_InitStruct.Mode = GPIO_MODE_AF_PP;

GPIO_InitStruct.Pull = GPIO_PULLUP;

GPIO_InitStruct.Speed = GPIO_SPEED_FREQ_VERY_HIGH;

GPIO_InitStruct.Alternate = GPIO_AF7_USART2;

HAL_GPIO_Init(GPIOA, &GPIO_InitStruct);

2 REPLIES 2

> is the comment in STM32F4xx_hal_uart.c wrong?

Yes.

There's no "alternate function input"

Except in the old 'F1 family, if you set a pin to AF in GPIO_MODER (and assign some AF in respective GPIO_AFR), the module to which this pin is assigned controls the direction of that pin. UARTs set Rx pin to Input, Tx to Output, as soon as you enable the receiver/transmitter/UART in UART_CR1.

JW

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @HXiao.1​ and welcome to the STM32 Community,

I escalated the wrong comment to the development team for correction in the coming releases.

Thanks for your contribution.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen