cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F446RE TTCAN level 1 possible?

RMarc.4
Associate II

Hi everyone,

I think like most people, I ignored the errata sheet till it was too late. I know that the stm32f4 and quite a few others do not provide hardware support for TTCAN, which as far as my understanding goes is level 2 CAN (global time synchronization). I have searched the forum and although the errata does come up it doesn't fully answer my question.

I stumbled upon a bosch application note which mentioned the following "The time triggered communication is built upon the unchanged CAN protocol (ISO 11898-1). This allows a software implementation of the time triggered function of TTCAN, based on existing CAN ICs. The high precision global time however requires a hardware implementation. A hardware implementation also offers additional functions like time mark interrupts, a stop-watch, and a synchronization to external events, all independent of software latency times."

Which makes it seem like I would be able to implement level 1 TTCAN in the existing system, although not level 2.

I've been spending quite some time looking into TTCAN and will continue to, however I want to know whether this is correct or would I not be able to implement any form of TTCAN?

Thanks in advance and as always any help will be highly appreciated.

EDIT: The question will also highlight my gap in knowledge of TTCAN (Although I'm working on it). As I'm reading up ,however the chip selection is taking place and has so far been fixed on the stm32f446re and hence this errata might mean a MCU change has to happen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Best is you get in contact to ST/Bosch via your FAE

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

All none FD CAN on STM32 have the TTCAN errata.

Thank you, although I don't think this fully answers my question.

Can Level 1 TTCAN be implemented on a STM32f466re?

If it can't we might be changing our products design to use another manufacturers MCU that would allow it.

I know level 2 cant as the hardware isn't there, but can level 1 as this seems to be a software solution.

If it can be implemented does STM have any recommendations about how to implement this, app notes, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Best is you get in contact to ST/Bosch via your FAE

Perfect, just contacted them. Thanks for the help!

hello, how does ST reply? is there a workaround? I check many people do the project, they mentioned the relative stm32 series for a ttcan implementation, but they actually are not supported which mentioned in the errata file.....

thanks in advance!

The community rules are explained here, excerpt:

This is a public community where we strongly encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing. While ST experts do participate in answering questions, we welcome and rely also on the vast knowledge of our customers to help their peers. ST does not guarantee responses to every question posted in the community, yet we will provide programs and engagement to make the response rate and availability of useful content as high as possible.

If you want an explicit answer from ST, you should either open a personal ticket in the online system OLS, or contact your local distributor or ST office.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.