cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual COM Port driver "reversed" - want to connect to STM32, NOT to PC.

BSaraiva
Associate II

Hi all,

This post is obviously coming from a person without any USB development experience.

We use some off-the-shelf instruments which I know to be based on STM32, and they connect to a PC using the Virtual COMPort. Nothing new here, the standard Windows drivers perfectly recognizes it and I can communicate using any console program.

What we would like to do is to get rid of the PC: make an external "controller" device with another STM32 with USB OTG to which the instrument would be connected (a small LCD and a few buttons will be the interface to whatever the instrument requires). Our controller would recognize the VCP, and "convert it back" to a serial transport layer.

So I guess we are looking for the C/C++ "reverse" of the VCP driver.

[STM32_INSTRUMENT]-------->(USB_CABLE)-------->[STM32_USB_OTG][SERIAL_DATA]

Does anyone know if there is such a thing available?

Thanks,

Bruno

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ie a HOST not a DEVICE

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0\Projects\STM32746G-Discovery\Applications\USB_Host\CDC_Standalone

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BSaraiva
Associate II

Just touching this again to see if anyone can come up with any ideas?

What do I need to be able to read serial data in a STM32 that arrives via USB, where on the other end we have another STM32 using Virtual COMPort?

Thanks!

ie a HOST not a DEVICE

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0\Projects\STM32746G-Discovery\Applications\USB_Host\CDC_Standalone

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
BSaraiva
Associate II

Hello TDL, thank you for the reply.

As I mentioned, my question was obviously written by someone with no USB experience! 😉

Your answer does show the right path, thanks again. For those looking for more info, now that I've learned the proper term, a Google search for "stm32 cdc_standalone" points to some interesting material.

Cheers