cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIS3DH offset correction

Jukka Lamminm�ki
Associate II

Hi,

We've been using LIS3DSH for a few years now and are now searching for alternative sensor because of availability problems.

In LIS3DSH there are offset compensation registers OFF_X(Y,Z) for fixing the read axle values with correction values stored in manufacturing phase (TyOff).

However I can't see any such registers in LIS3DH documentation, although there are same chapters in document (3.1.2 Zero-g level and 3.5 Factory calibration).

I haven't yet been able to test the sensor, but just for preparing to the sensor change, are the offsets detected on manufacturing phase of LIS3H taken care somehow automagically, or am I missing something here?

Best regards,

Jukka

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Jukka Lamminmäki​ ,

are you searching for a pin-to-pin compatible device with the LIS3DSH?

If yes, I agree with you that the LIS3DH is a valid solution, but you have to manage the offset at software level (subtracting them during your acquisition / processing routine). This is the same for the LIS3DSH indeed, in the sense that you have to characterize manually the post-solder offset and write it in the dedicated registers. As you can see, in fact, the TyOff is the same for the two devices.

If on the other side you are not bound to use the same pinout/footprint, I suggest you the LIS2DW12 as a valid substitute, that is more accurate and should also guarantee a longer lifetime.

Btw, the lack of availability of these devices should be a temporary issue of this period.

-Eleon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Jukka Lamminmäki​ ,

are you searching for a pin-to-pin compatible device with the LIS3DSH?

If yes, I agree with you that the LIS3DH is a valid solution, but you have to manage the offset at software level (subtracting them during your acquisition / processing routine). This is the same for the LIS3DSH indeed, in the sense that you have to characterize manually the post-solder offset and write it in the dedicated registers. As you can see, in fact, the TyOff is the same for the two devices.

If on the other side you are not bound to use the same pinout/footprint, I suggest you the LIS2DW12 as a valid substitute, that is more accurate and should also guarantee a longer lifetime.

Btw, the lack of availability of these devices should be a temporary issue of this period.

-Eleon

Thanx Eleon,

Quite like I assumed, we just need to hold the correction values locally somewhere.

Reason for selecting now the LIS3DH is that it drops to our current layout, in the future we maybe need to change the sensor family, or modify the layout so, that there's more alternatives to use.

Rgrds: Jukka