cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 two versions (CR95HF/ST25R95), but only one available?

SStad.2
Associate II

Hello erveryone,

I have a question regarding the X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1. I want to use the board with NFC Tags Type 5. The board version with the ST25R95 should be able to do that, but it seems like theres only the version with CR95HF available for sale at Mouser etc.. How can I get my hands on the ST25R95 board? And the general description says that X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 is only able to read up to NFC Tag Type 4 is that also true for the ST25R95 version?

Thanks in advance for your answers 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Sebastian,

Basically, since the CR95HF has joined the ST25R family, ST25R95 is the part numbering for this device (actually ST25R95-VMD5T is the full part number). The marking on the IC is still CR95HF. For more details about the differences, see Differences between ST95HF and ST25R95 on this community.

CR95HF/ST25R95 supports :

• NFC-A / ISO14443A reader mode
  • NFC-B / ISO14443B reader mode
  • NFC-F / FeliCa™ reader mode
  • NFC-V / ISO15693 reader mode <=== T5T support

The X-CUBE-NFC3 firmware package demonstrates the reading of ISO14443A/B, Felica™ and ISO15693 (Type5) tags on X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1.

Where did you get the erroneous information about X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 supporting only NFC Tag Type 4 ?

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Sebastian,

Basically, since the CR95HF has joined the ST25R family, ST25R95 is the part numbering for this device (actually ST25R95-VMD5T is the full part number). The marking on the IC is still CR95HF. For more details about the differences, see Differences between ST95HF and ST25R95 on this community.

CR95HF/ST25R95 supports :

• NFC-A / ISO14443A reader mode
  • NFC-B / ISO14443B reader mode
  • NFC-F / FeliCa™ reader mode
  • NFC-V / ISO15693 reader mode <=== T5T support

The X-CUBE-NFC3 firmware package demonstrates the reading of ISO14443A/B, Felica™ and ISO15693 (Type5) tags on X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1.

Where did you get the erroneous information about X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 supporting only NFC Tag Type 4 ?

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SStad.2
Associate II

Thank you very much for your answer Brain. Now I see more clear. I have the information from the description of the nucleo board.

"Both the CR95HF and ST25R95 devices manage frame coding and decoding in Reader mode for standard applications, such as NFC, proximity and vicinity standards. They embed an analog front end to provide the 13.56 MHz air interface.

These ICs support ISO/IEC 14443 Type A and B, ISO/IEC 15693 (single or double subcarrier) and ISO/IEC 18092 communication protocols, besides being MIFARE® Classic compatible1. They also support the detection, reading and writing of NFC Forum Type 1, 2, 3 and 4 tags."

Type 5 is not mentioned.

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Sebastian,

thanks for having found this typo. Actually the IC supports ISO/IEC 14443 Type A and B, ISO/IEC 15693 (single or double subcarrier) and ISO/IEC 18092 communication protocols: therefore NFC Forum Type 5 tags detection, reading and writing are supported in addition to other NFC Forum tag types.

Here is an extract of the serial output when using  X-CUBE-NFC3 firmware package with X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1.

Welcome to X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 (SPI Interface)
Initialization succeeded..
ISO15693/NFC-V card found. UID: E01624660C1E1991
 Read Block: OK Data: 82186020

Rgds

BT

SStad.2
Associate II

Thank you for the example. By the way the CR95HF is also missing Type 5 in the listing.

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Sebastian,

as ST25R95 is recommended for new designs, CR95HF documentation is kept only for legacy purpose. Hence, I would recommend to use ST25R95 datasheet rather than CR95HF datasheet as ST25R95 datasheet is up to date (some typos have been fixed and some extra information has been provided).

Thanks for using ST25R reader products.

Rgds

BT