cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between LIS2DH12 and LIS2DW12

TMahm.2
Associate II

I cannot decide which one to use in my application, which is a portable radar fixed to the back of a vehicle. My only requirement is that its orientation is correct when first put in place. Will the LIS2DH12 suffice. I do know that the LIS2DW12 has better resolution, lower operating and sleep current, better sensitivity, higher frequency response. But I'm not sure if I need all the improvements it offers which come at a premium.

4 REPLIES 4
TMahm.2
Associate II

I'm also looking at LIS2HH12, out of these the LIS2DW12 is considerably more expensive than the others mentioned here. Looking at RS components we have the following price for 50 pieces;

LIS2DW12 £1.45

LIS2HH12 £0.84

LIS2DH £0.89

LIS2DH12 £0.92

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @TMahm.2​ ,

So you basically need to detect a 4D / 6D orientation (or position) of your vehicle, and not the exact "real-time" tilt of it, or automotive-graded safety flags, right?

If so, as reference implementation, you can check the application note AN4662 p.31, where this feature is described.

In this case, the LIS2HH12 device should be enough, since this digital application is conceptually similar on all the devices you reported.

If you want a sample code showing this feature implementation, you can get an insight in the file lis2dw12_orientation.c: registers to be set are different, but structure is similar.

-Eleon

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @TMahm.2​ ,

did you find the right solution for your application at the end?

-Eleon

Hi
Thank you for your email, I did find the right solution for our application and decided to use an IMU.
Kind Regards
Tariq