cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H750 (rev.V) Needs higher ADC clock for dual interleaved mode when triggered from timer?

Georgy Moshkin
Senior II

According to AN5354:

Page 13 / Table 12: Number of ADC = 2, resolution = 12, LQFP100, maximum ADC frequency is 35MHz (providing 70MHz from PLL2P before /2 divider)

Page 15 / Table 16: Direct 4.38 MSPS Fast 3.83 MSPS

And according to formula from RM: Tconv=(1.5+6.5)

a=35*10^6/Tconv = 4.375 [MHz]

With this settings it is possible to obtain ~ 8MHz sampling rates for ~ 35Mhz ADC clock (dual interleaved 2x4MHz, continuous conversion)

This works perfectly until I try to trigger ADC from timer with continuous conversion disabled.

For 8MHz (2 x 4MHz) sampling rate i need to provide ADC clock around ~45MHz (90MHz from PLL2P before /2 divider) for correct operation. When lower ADC clock is provided, then ADC sampling rate is reduced by 1/1.5, 1/2, etc. factor.

Why ADC clock must be higher when sampling rate is set by timer trigger events?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Georgy Moshkin​ ,

When the ADC is triggered by a timer there is an extra latency before ADC will start conversions.

This latency is defined in the STM32H7 datasheet (Table of ADC characteristics) and this could explain the behaviour that you see.

0693W000007E3c9QAC.pngIf you are using Dual interleaved mode, the master will start conversions only after slave finished. So, this will impact the sampling rate.

By the way the dual interleaved is for max perf and is used in continuous mode.

I would suggest that you add more details to your post, specifically about your use case.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Georgy Moshkin​ ,

When the ADC is triggered by a timer there is an extra latency before ADC will start conversions.

This latency is defined in the STM32H7 datasheet (Table of ADC characteristics) and this could explain the behaviour that you see.

0693W000007E3c9QAC.pngIf you are using Dual interleaved mode, the master will start conversions only after slave finished. So, this will impact the sampling rate.

By the way the dual interleaved is for max perf and is used in continuous mode.

I would suggest that you add more details to your post, specifically about your use case.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen