cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Bus speed mode

Pkats.1
Associate II

Hello,

as I see at the AN5200 only in DS and HS the signal level is 3.3V.

Does it mean that the IO signal level in SDR50 for example will be 1.8V on the host side?

The MCU has internal LDO for it ?

Or the host size is always 3.3V, and the signal voltage level should be shifted to 1.8V as the protocol says.

Moreover why external voltage switch transceiver is necessary at all in case I decide to work in HS for example and the level on both sides is 3.3V?

what is the purpose of CKIN for example?

Do you have any recommendation to external voltage switch transceiver ? The IP4856 that used at the EVB is an OBSOLETE part.

thank you

2 REPLIES 2

The H7 does not switch voltages internally, this is done with an external transceiver, if needed to hit some of the extended Ultra modes.

One can certainly get to rates in excess of 50 MHz with out switching voltages, and most microSD cards as I understand the specs are suppose to support >= 50 MHz operation.

If you run the H7 at voltages below the SD Card specification, you'll need to ensure the cards get the levels they expect.

The feedback clock is there to understand the inherent signal delays on the out-bound and in-bound journey, and so the STM32 has a reference edge for the returning data.

One can do a simple 6-wire + power/ground interface at 3.3V volts.

Even with a 26 MHz wire clock, I can get 6-7 MBps Write and 8 MBps Read from 4-bit eMMC devices, higher in 8-bit and SDR52 modes, and DDR ones.

Not sure what the plans are for the tranceivers, or the longevity of things that would replace it. I'd probably look to doing it with discreet ICs (modern 74 series), but not my circus.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hey,

didnt understand your point.

To run at HS mode for example,

do I need an external level shifter?

are the feedback signals are must, or I can connect directly host to as card for example if I work with 3.3V on both sides.

About choosing transceiver, as I saw there are dedicated transceivers for the SD interface, like I mentioned before .

I hope to find an alternative active (for now) part for the IP4856 , that will be dedicated for the SD interface as well .

Thank you for your answer!

peleg