cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to speed up pin configuration in STM32CubeIDE? (Solved)

SSton.1
Associate III

Yet again I am finding it really slow trying to configure a project in STM32CubeIDE. v1.5.1 which uses STMCubeMX 6.1.1

I have a desktop with a fast i7 processor, 32G RAM, plenty of SSD space, a good graphics card and Windows 10 Pro.

I have closed all windows and restarted the PC. I have STM32CubeIDE pin configuration window open and the CPU load is 1-2% and the memory has 24% used, with 24GB available.

When I set a pin function, it takes at least 30 seconds. If I change a name it takes at least 30 seconds. If I do almost anything it takes at least 30 seconds.

I am trying to set up a project based on a 128 pin LQFP and it's going to take 2-3 hours just to assign the pins at this rate.

I do remember seeing ways of speeding it up (or Java?) in the past but at the moment I don't seem to be able to get much work done.

Are there some settings I should check?

Thanks.

Update - Solution: in case it helps:

I found some older threads suggesting that turning off direct32 in Java made a difference. I didn't work that out for myself but I'm posting this because I couldn't find any simple documentation showing how to implement it.

I did it as follows:

1. Open the Java control panel (run control.exe from the start menu if you can't find it).
  2. Click on the Java tab.
  3. Click on the View... button to manage settings for Java applications.
  4. In the runtime parameters, enter-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false STM32CubeMX.exe in the Runtime parameters.

0693W000007CozpQAC.png I did it for both lines. I assumed it should only be required for 64-bit but I couldn't tell which was being used.

Result: Changing a pin definition now takes about 1.5 seconds instead of > 30 seconds.

(If Java gets updated, it may be necessary to edit this again - I have no idea).

2 REPLIES 2
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

I've got a try to -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false ... helpful a on my side if Win10 and quite responsive hardware setup at least.

Right place to add such is stm32cubeide.ini file.

Any drawback of ? ... need to play a bit more with I guess ...

SSton.1
Associate III

@Cartu38 OpenDev​ Thanks - I added the line '-Dsun.java2d.3d3=false' at the end of stm32cubeide.ini. It seems to work although sometimes it starts going really slowly again and I have to quite STM32cubeIDE and restart it.