cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to build logic analyzer example

WCast.1
Associate II

I'm trying to build the large buffer exchange example but have been unsuccessful so far. I have the distribution installed and have no problem building the default package but when I try to build with the logic analyzer I get repo failures and compile failures.

I have 5.4 dunfell distribution installed with dunfell logic analyzer app downloaded, on a machine with ubuntu 20.04. I followed all the steps in the PC Prereqs page to setup the different tools needed to download and compile the distribution.

When I try to compile I always get the following error:

NOTE: Executing Tasks
WARNING: openocd-stm32mp-native-0.10.0-release.AUTOINC+b5d2b1224f-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL git://repo.or.cz/git2cl.git;;destsuffix=git/tools/git2cl;name=git2cl, attempting MIRRORS if available
WARNING: openocd-stm32mp-native-0.10.0-release.AUTOINC+b5d2b1224f-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL git://repo.or.cz/jimtcl.git;destsuffix=git/jimtcl;name=jimtcl, attempting MIRRORS if available
WARNING: openocd-stm32mp-native-0.10.0-release.AUTOINC+b5d2b1224f-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL git://repo.or.cz/libjaylink.git;destsuffix=git/src/jtag/drivers/libjaylink;name=libjaylink, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: linux-stm32mp-5.4.56-r0 do_compile: oe_runmake failed
ERROR: linux-stm32mp-5.4.56-r0 do_compile: Execution of '/home/isdc/STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v2.1.0/Distribution-Package/openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-11-12/build-openstlinuxweston-stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser/tmp-glibc/work/stm32mp1_demo_logicanalyser-ostl-linux-gnueabi/linux-stm32mp/5.4.56-r0/temp/run.do_compile.1392820' failed with exit code 1:

followed by a long trace out and :

| make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'arch/arm/boot/dts/stm32mp157c-demo-logic-analyser-mx.dtb'.  Stop.
| make[1]: *** [/home/isdc/STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v2.1.0/Distribution-Package/openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-11-12/build-openstlinuxweston-stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser/tmp-glibc/work-shared/stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser/kernel-source/Makefile:1242: stm32mp157c-demo-logic-analyser-mx.dtb] Error 2
| make: *** [/home/isdc/STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v2.1.0/Distribution-Package/openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-11-12/build-openstlinuxweston-stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser/tmp-glibc/work-shared/stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser/kernel-source/Makefile:179: sub-make] Error 2
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
| 
ERROR: Task (/home/isdc/STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v2.1.0/Distribution-Package/openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-11-12/layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-stm32mp_5.4.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 4544 tasks of which 5 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.
NOTE: Writing buildhistory
NOTE: Writing buildhistory took: 1 seconds

Summary: 1 task failed:
  /home/isdc/STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v2.1.0/Distribution-Package/openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-11-12/layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-stm32mp_5.4.bb:do_compile
Summary: There were 3 WARNING messages shown.

Hoping for any help to get example app built.

10 REPLIES 10
JeanPhilippeR
ST Employee

Dear @WCast.1​ 

Do you add the new layer on the bblayer.conf with the following command before setting the building environment?

$ bitbake-layers add-layer [your STM32MP1 Distribution path]/layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mpu-app-logicanalyser

Regards

Jean-Philippe

When I run your command from distribution path I get following error:

NOTE: Starting bitbake server...

Unable to find bblayers.conf

when I run "bitbake-layers show-layers" however it displays the meta-st-stm32mpu-app-logicanalyser with priority 7

Looks strange, bblayer.conf is created in [you build-*** directory]/conf sub-directory as soon as you set your environment by selecting the DISTRO and the MACHINE.

Ok so I deleted the build directory for logicanalyser and started a new session, this time I was able to run

$ bitbake-layers add-layer [your STM32MP1 Distribution path]/layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mpu-app-logicanalyser

from the /build-openstlinuxweston-stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser directory with no errors, however I'm still getting the same errors from before, it fails on do_fetch for openocd-stm32mp-native0.10-0 and gives me do_compile errors for linux-stm32mp_5.4.bb

AntonioST
ST Employee

Hi @WCast.1​ ,

I have already experienced that sometimes the server repo.or.cz is not accessible. Some of the hosted project have already migrated to github to avoid such issues.

But that is the default source for OpenOCD and its components.

Currently I can access without any problem.

Can you try running directly

git clone git://repo.or.cz/git2cl.git
git clone git://repo.or.cz/jimtcl.git
git clone git://repo.or.cz/libjaylink.git

just to check if you can connect?

What about using a browser at this link ?

Hello Antonio,

Thankfully you made me realize that I snuck in the command to add a proxy to git which was causing those errors, I have removed that configuration and deleted the logic-analyzer recipe and deleted the distribution and reinstalled fresh. I no longer get the errors for do_fetch however I still get the error on do_compile linux-stm32mp-5.4.56-r0 and on a stm32mp157c-demo-logic-analyser-mx.dtb

|   Kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready
| make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'arch/arm/boot/dts/stm32mp157c-demo-logic-analyser-mx.dtb'.  Stop.
| make[1]: *** [/home/isdc/STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v2.1.0/Distribution-Package/openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-11-12/build-openstlinuxweston-stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser/tmp-glibc/work-shared/stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser/kernel-source/Makefile:1242: stm32mp157c-demo-logic-analyser-mx.dtb] Error 2
| make: *** [/home/isdc/STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v2.1.0/Distribution-Package/openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-11-12/build-openstlinuxweston-stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser/tmp-glibc/work-shared/stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser/kernel-source/Makefile:179: sub-make] Error 2
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
| 
ERROR: Task (/home/isdc/STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v2.1.0/Distribution-Package/openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-11-12/layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-stm32mp_5.4.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 4552 tasks of which 5 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

JeanPhilippeR
ST Employee

Hi @WCast.1​ 

Important information to share with you is that the Logic analyser demo has not be ported on top of OpenSTLinux v2.1.0 (openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-11-12), and latest commit on git is compatible with v2.0.0 (Openstlinux-5.4-dunfell-mp1-20-06-24).

The update to be compatible with v2.1.0 should be done soon then poushed to github.

However, I could propose you to make the following change by your own for test in the file meta-st-stm32mpu-app-logicanalyser/conf/machine stm32mp1-demo-logicanalyser.conf in bold:

# =========================================================================

# CubeMX extra config

# =========================================================================

+ ENABLE_CUBEMX_DTB ?= "1"

+

# Set specific subdir path by components for each device tree file location

# within CUBEMX_PROJECT project folder

CUBEMX_DTB_PATH_TFA   = "tf-a"

CUBEMX_DTB_PATH_TFA_SB = "tf-a"

CUBEMX_DTB_PATH_UBOOT  = "u-boot"

CUBEMX_DTB_PATH_LINUX  = "kernel"

CUBEMX_DTB_PATH_OPTEEOS = "optee-os"

Thank you

BR

Jean-Philippe

The proposed patch is not enough and mx device tree changes to be taken also into account to be compatible with OpenSTLinux v2.1.

So recommendation is to wait for update of meta-st-stm32mpu-app-logicanalyser in github.

Regards

Jean-Philippe

Hello JeanPhilippeR,

Thank you for your suggestions, I was able to get the demo to compile and flash to board succesfully by removing all references to:

optee{
			compatible = "linaro,optee-tz";
			method = "smc";
		};
	};
	reserved-memory{
		optee@de000000{
			reg = <0xde000000 0x02000000>;
			no-map;
		};

in the file's stm32mp157c-demo-logic-analyser-mx.dts located in the kernel and tf-a directory, and adding the above code in the u-boot version of stm32mp157c-demo-logic-analyser-mx-u-boot.dtsi. after making those modifications the board booted up and ran the example application with no issues. Thanks all for the help troubleshooting.