cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey, I recently bought stm VL53L1x and try to connect it with my raspberry pi B. But I couldn't understand the process to connect it.

NJha.1
Associate

I was wondering If anyone could provide me with detail step as I am new to stm sensor

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

this is a hard one to just describe.

And there are a couple of ways to do it.

I've included the files that I use on my RPi below.

One downloads the STSW-IMG019 API for VL53L1

or the STSW-IMG009 VL53L1X ULD API (Ultra Lite Driver Application Programming Interface)

and use the files in the inclosed zip file.

Unless you really need the features of the VL53L1CB, the UltraLight driver is the way to go. It's only a few hundred lines of code and very robust.

the trick is these 2 APIs do not understand how Linux reads and writes to the I2C.

So one needs a special functions in platform.c filled out for you processor.

But we have just released STSW-IMG022 Linux driver for VL53L1CB

The VL53L1CB is a few cents more expensive than is the VL53L1X, and in order to go into production with the code in the STSW-IMG022 you need the CB chip, but you can do some quick tests and developement with the VL53L1X development platform.

Good luck,

• john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Here is how I have connected my RPi. I'm using 4 wires in my minimal set-up. But I cheated. There are 2 power pins on that satellite. (Analog and Digital) I have bridged pins 7 and 8 together.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.