cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo-g431kb TIM2 Output Compare DMA - When does the dma shift actually trigger?

AWald.2
Associate II

Hi!

A question related to the 32 bit TIM2 (or timers in general).

I am generating a square wave output using TIM2 Output Compare function with toggle mode.

I have also configured the DMA to help switch the CCRx output compare value in order to go from low to high, and high to low again within a each timer period. At least that is want I want to achieve.

However, the DMA seems to be triggered at when each timer period is finished and not when each compare has happened. Should it not do this?

According to the STM32G4 reference manual, it look like the DMA request should happen after a compare as I expect but not how it is happening?

0693W000007C6suQAC.png 

My timer CUBEMX configuration is as following. The system clock is set maximum 170MHz. Prescale set 0, period is set 170000000-1, so I expect the square puls to be generate 1 time per second. Instead it is generate everyother second.0693W000007C6vyQAC.png0693W000007C6wNQAS.png0693W000007C6wwQAC.pngThis is my code initialization of the timer with the DMA buffer:

#define MOTOR_DMA_OC_HIGH 0
#define MOTOR_DMA_OC_LOW 10

static uint32_t m1_tim2_dma_buffer[2] = {MOTOR_DMA_OC_HIGH, MOTOR_DMA_OC_LOW};

void motor_m1_enable(void)
{  
HAL_TIM_OC_Start_DMA(&htim2, TIM_CHANNEL_1, m1_tim2_dma_buffer, 2);
}

Any inputs from you guys is much appreciated 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm not sure DMA will succeed loading the new CCR value within 10 system clocks.

JW

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KnarfB
Principal III

You set the mode "toggle on match". So, every second the signal is toggled --> 0.5 Hz.

AWald.2
Associate II

Hi @KnarfB​ , thanks for the input.

So, if the DMA toggles the CCR1 value on every match, I should se a square wave with a 1Hz period on the output as illustrated below:

0693W000007CF9eQAG.png 

This seems not to be the case. I have connected my output TIM2 CH1 pin to TIM3 Ext input where I measure each rising edge. This is updating at approx the double -> 0.5Hz. I am actually not clocking TIM3 since I am using it as "external clock source", so I am just estimating the update frequency of the counter. I could change it to Input Capture and measure.

I'm not sure DMA will succeed loading the new CCR value within 10 system clocks.

JW

AWald.2
Associate II

@Community member​ thanks for the input!

My thoughts were actually on it too. So I have been reading about DMA latency in AN2548 Application Note Using the STM32F0/F1/F3/Gx/Lx Series DMA controller where it does hint towards me maybe pushing the limit a little 🙂

I dont have any particual constraint saying my high must be max 10 cycles. I will try to increase a lot and test more.

KnarfB
Principal III

It works for larger values and differences of HIGH and LO. Depending on what you want to achieve, couldn't you substantially lower the counter period (and increase the pre-scaler accordingly)? For a counter period of 100 you can set HI and LO in steps of 1%, or take a period of 1000 ...

@KnarfB​ I would like to keep the prescaler 0 (or as close to as possible) in order to increase the output frequency resolution. My code is going to control a stepper motor, hence the reason for adjusting the ARR value on the go.

Increasing the difference between the two CRR values did the job for me and it seems to be working as expected now.