cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to write EEPROM inside STM32F746G-DISCO board ?

ljeon.1
Associate II

Hi.

I am developing a project using the STM32F746G-DISCO board.

During development, there are cases where EEPROM needs to be used. Is the STM32F746G-DISCO usable like EEPROM by using internal flash?

I tried using the STM32F746G-DISCO default sample source in STM32CUBE-IDE, but it doesn't work.

STM32L1 to L4 have experience using internal flash as an EEPROM.

If possible, I would appreciate it if you could tell me a simple way.

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Easiest way: Attach external EEPROM or use battery/goldcap backup and the backup registers. Or get you code right.

To add an external EEPROM, a user PCB made based on the STM32F746G-DISCO board is completed, so it cannot be added.

Is there a way to use a part of the internal flash as a data storage method for EEPROM?

Can I use the photo file downloaded from STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0?

0693W000007CG0TQAW.png0693W000007CG0OQAW.png  

I tried using both of the provided folder files, but it didn't work out, so I'd like to ask you again.

Can't I use the internal flash like an eeprom?

I can use it, but am I not able to?

The flash memory allows for read, erase, write, so I'd imagine that opens a lot of possibilities.

The sectors tend to be rather large, and it can stall the processor during erase and write. The EEPROM Emulation should work, I don't think it is a particularly good solution. Make the example work, understand its mechanics.

You can use the smaller sectors up front but you have to have your firmware image flow around the space you've carved out. Or split into a loader / application leaving a gap with the sectors you want to use.

Did you implement the QSPI memory on your F746G-DISCO clone? Or the shield connector? Expose any I2C pins?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..