cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the application notes 1 kW traction controller reference design for 3-phase BLDC motors for light electric vehicles why 4 Parallel MOSFET and 3 separate MOSFET Driver is used.

Eveer.1
Associate

Please explain the purpose of 4 Parallel MOSFET, Why we cant use 1 or 2 MOSFET with higher rating, Also Why three seperate MOSFET driver is used for each phases, Why single Driver with 3 Channel is not used. Whether it can be used, Please suggest any advantage of using as per yhis design.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @Eveer.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

If I understand correctly you refer to the user manual UM2647 that describe how to use the reference design STDES-EVT001V1.

The L6491 half-bridge gate driver has been selected for its high current capability (4 A sink / source).

The ST portfolio offers single-chip with three half-bridge gate drivers but with lower current capabilities.

The selected N-channel STP100N8F6 developed using the STripFET™ F6 technology exhibits very low RDS(on) .

The paralleling of more power MOSFETs allow to manage high power.

In fact, in the power devices the maximum current is limited by the dissipation, not the maximum rating of the device.

Let me know if I solved your doubts, if so please "Select as Best" button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @Eveer.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

If I understand correctly you refer to the user manual UM2647 that describe how to use the reference design STDES-EVT001V1.

The L6491 half-bridge gate driver has been selected for its high current capability (4 A sink / source).

The ST portfolio offers single-chip with three half-bridge gate drivers but with lower current capabilities.

The selected N-channel STP100N8F6 developed using the STripFET™ F6 technology exhibits very low RDS(on) .

The paralleling of more power MOSFETs allow to manage high power.

In fact, in the power devices the maximum current is limited by the dissipation, not the maximum rating of the device.

Let me know if I solved your doubts, if so please "Select as Best" button.

Hello @Eveer.1​ any feedback from your side?