cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link firmware verification - No ST-LINK detected found a strange way to fix

yunia.3
Associate II

I have been struggled for several days. I have to plug in the board very quick and open the firmware update page on stm32 cubeIDE and update. After update, I can debug and can only last for 5 to 10 seconds. After that, I have to unplug and replug again and update the firmware again to be able to debug. Otherwise, keep showing: ST-Link firmware verification - No ST-LINK detected

19 REPLIES 19
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hello,

To put you post in the right forum topics, could you please give more information on the product you are using (STM32 part number, nucleo/disco/etc.. board reference, ST-Link standalone, version, etc...).

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Hi
I am using nucleo board g474re. And I am using cubeIDE
LaurentL
ST Employee

Hi,

For STLink firmware upgrade, you can use directly the menu Help => STLink upgrade.

You only need to do it once normally.

Did you install STM32CubeIde or update the version ?

You must install STM32CubeIde (v1.5.1 is the latest) with the installer to have STLink server installed.

Rgds,

Laurent

I am using the STM32CubeIde v1.5.1 now. Which I tried a lot of ways before like updating, uninstall, reinstall old and new versions several times since it used to works for 1.3 version( now even I changed back to 1.3, is not work)
The strange thing is that if I do not do Help => STLink upgrade every time. It shows no stlink detected. And each firmware update only valid for 5 to 10s for me to debug(which can find the stlink and run on nucleo board). After that, I have to start the whole process again like, unplug usb, plug in, quickly open firmware update page either on cubeIDE or cube programer or utilities. I think it is my laptop issue since I have tried changed cables, new nucleo board etc. but I checked all my computer usb driver is up to date and the st debug server is all up to date.
LaurentL
ST Employee

Try to use the installer to install the STM32CubeIde (v1.5.1).

It will install the STLink usb driver (though you have them already with v1.3.0 install) and the latest STLink server tool and then you should be able to debug.

Check the usb cable and also the usb connector, maybe there is an issue on the USB connector of nucleo board ?

In Windows Device Manager, If you can see the STLink debug in USB devices, it should be ok.

What you could do also is to install STM32CubeProgrammer and mass erase the device to be sure you don't have an application code messing with the board.

Rgds,

Laurent

yunia.3
Associate II

Hi,

I did used the installer to install the STM32CubeIde (v1.5.1). And I have to used the above process to debug otherwise it always shows No ST-LINK detected.

I checked and I know it has latest STLink server tool but I think on my laptop is not working. I changed several usb cables and I just bought a new nucleo board and still not work.

In Windows Device Manager, I can see the STLink debug in USB devices, but still not work.

I tried to manually search for the driver in ST folder and it cannot be changed.

In STM programmer, I have to do the same thing to be able to find the board: quickly install the usb and click "firmware update" and it can be detected for just several seconds. Btw, How do I mass erase the device?

0693W000007By0QQAS.png0693W000007By0LQAS.png0693W000007BxzcQAC.png

LaurentL
ST Employee

Mass erasing the device can be done with the eraser (bottom left button).

I suggest you to connect with hardware reset and connect under reset.

But you must solve your stlink issue first I suppose.

How to do I solve the st link issue. I have been struggling for several days. I think the main issue is the laptop does not know to start st link and they consider as a usb and I am not sure what st link server I can try. I try to download from st website or reinstall it from cubeIDE folder. When I try the st link server exe, it seems not start installing.