cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L4 Standby Mode GPIO State {Schmitt Trigger} Clarification from Reference Manual

JRuss.4
Associate

I am designing an UltraLow-Power product around the MCU STM32L412. I need to help clarifying the GPIO states during Standby. Specifically, if the Schmitt trigger is ON or OFF during Standby. This will impact my electrical design if I need to have external Pullup/Pulldowns on some pins to prevent current leakage during Standby. The Reference Manual {which Overall is fantastic} has what appears to be inconsistent info regarding this issue. I am hoping for an ST employee to clarify.

QUESTION 1

5.3.10 Shutdown mode

I/O states in Shutdown mode

In the Shutdown mode, are by default in floating state. If the APC bit of PWR_CR3 register

has been set, the I/Os can be configured either with a pull-up (refer to PWR_PUCRx

registers (x=A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H), or with a pull-down (refer to PWR_PDCRx registers

(x=A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H)), or can be kept in analog state if none of the PWR_PUCRx or

PWR_PDCRx register has been set. The pull-down configuration has highest priority over

pull-up configuration in case both PWR_PUCRx and PWR_PDCRx are set for the same IO.

However this configuration is lost when exiting the Shutdown mode due to the power-on

reset.

It appears the authors stated that by default pins are floating state {which to me implies Schmitt trigger is ON} then later in paragraph states that if PWR_CR3 register is not used AND if no pullup or pulldown set then pins are kept in analog state {which to me implies Schmitt trigger is OFF}

If an ST employee can please clarify if I can indeed set GPIOs in Standby with Schmitt trigger OFF as I have several pins, I prefer to have no external components and would leave floating voltage on the pins during standby.

QUESTION2: Similar question but specific for PB3

from Reference manual I understand the Debug pins in Standby will be

• PA15: JTDI in pull-up

• PA14: JTCK/SWCLK in pull-down

• PA13: JTMS/SWDAT in pull-up

• PB4: NJTRST in pull-up

• PB3: JTDO in floating state no pull-up/pull-down

For PB3 will the Schmitt trigger be ON or OFF by default in Standby? And is there any option to turn OFF if it is ON by default?

I understand if Schmitt trigger is always ON for PB3 in Standby then I will need to add an external pulldown/pullup resistor to prevent current leakage due to the floating volts affecting the trigger. I would prefer to avoid adding external components if not necessary.

Thanks,

John Russell

Design Engineer

1 REPLY 1
Simon V.
ST Employee

Hello John,

Did you found the material which answer your questions since you have post this message or do you need help ?

Regards,

Simon

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.