cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU"

JLiao.3
Associate

Once I connect st-link v2-1 to STM32G473VBT6, there is a disk added into my PC, and there are 2 files in the disk. One is DETAILS.TXT(Version: V2J37M26 Build:  May 13 2020 17:07:43), another is FAIL.TXT (The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU).

If I try to debug in STM32CubeIDE, it shows

"Target unknown error 32

Error in initializing ST-LINK device.

Reason: Unknown. Please check power and cabling to target."

I tryied to tie Boot0 to high or low, but it did not resolved the problem.

9 REPLIES 9
Igor Cesko
ST Employee

Hi JLiao.3 ,

The message "The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU" means that the MCU cannot be accessed by the STlink. This message appears for example if there is no MCU on the Nucleo board or MCU is not connected by SWD wires to SWD interface. Please check the correct MCU connection to STlink - this is hardware problem.

Regards

Igor

Nick van IJzendoorn
Associate III

I'm pretty sure it can also be a software problem. I had the same problem with the NUCLEO-U575ZI-Q when trying to debug (I received error code 32 as well). Changing from the ST-Link to OpenOCD however solved the problem in my case.

I have the same issues.Can you tell me the derails to fix it?:loudly_crying_face:

Igor Cesko
ST Employee

Hi,

The reason to not connect to MCU can be also in MCU firmware - the firmware can disable SWD functions on pins and then external debugger cannot connect there (of firmware can put MCU into some low power mode - Stop, Standby - where SWD functions are not supported on pins).

Solution is to configure the software to be able to connect to device under reset. The best way is to connect to MCU in STM32CubeProgrammer (connection under reset) and erase the firmware which is blocking SWD wires. Instead of STM32CubeProgrammer we can use also some another programming tools (IAR, ... ).

The OpenOCD connects probably to MCU under reset.

Regards

Igor

Hi, How can i do that​?

Which part?

Please be specific about your exact situation, this is an 18 month old thread

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

thanks i was able to do it

Hello,i have had same problem but when i see the current consumption i see 0,00 . any suggestions ??!

Hell,
Can you explain the steps you took?