cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCSDK: ICS gain range is 5V but ADC only works with 3.3V

VKost.2
Associate II

Hi!

I am using F746ZG + IHM08M1. And I need configuration with 2 insulated current sensors.

My question is why in Workbench ICS gain is in range from -5V to 5V where the ADC max working range ist only 3.3V. Which current sensors should I buy 3.3V or 5V?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dario CUCCHI
Senior II

Hi @VKost.2​ ,

A gain of 5V/A does not mean that the output is 5V.

The gain represents how many volts are present on the output with respect to the current flowing in the input.

For example if your sensor has a full scale of 0.5A and a gain of 5V/A, its output voltage is 5V/A * 0.5A = 2.5V that can be acquired by the ADC at 3.3V.

The output of the ICS (full scale) should be within 3.3V to be acquired by ADC, its gain should be optimized according to the maximum current expected in your application.

If this answer to your question, please select the label below “Select as Best�?.

This will help other community members with the same question to quickly find the answer.

Have a good day !

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dario CUCCHI
Senior II

Hi @VKost.2​ ,

A gain of 5V/A does not mean that the output is 5V.

The gain represents how many volts are present on the output with respect to the current flowing in the input.

For example if your sensor has a full scale of 0.5A and a gain of 5V/A, its output voltage is 5V/A * 0.5A = 2.5V that can be acquired by the ADC at 3.3V.

The output of the ICS (full scale) should be within 3.3V to be acquired by ADC, its gain should be optimized according to the maximum current expected in your application.

If this answer to your question, please select the label below “Select as Best�?.

This will help other community members with the same question to quickly find the answer.

Have a good day !

VKost.2
Associate II

I see now, Thank you!

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

The question has been moved from the "Motor Control Hardware" section to the "STM32 Motor Control" section (the question is about the STM32 SDK). 

Best regards

Laurent Ca...