cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407VG not showing up under my computer

EBroo.1
Associate II

I'm new to STM MCUs and am trying to start with loading basic binary files (mBed) to my STM32F407VG, but when I plug in the MCU it is not appearing in windows file explorer as a drive, which is a problem since I will need to move my binary files there.

I have downloaded the ST-Link drivers here: https://my.st.com/content/my_st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-utilities/stsw-link009.license=1610051102416.product=STSW-LINK009.version=2.0.1.html

Going to device manager I have STM32 STLink showing under Universal Serial Bus Devices.

The MCU has LD1 and LD2 lit up constantly showing power and connection, and the four LEDs between the user and reset buttons are lighting up properly in their clockwise manner.

Can anyone think of why the board isn't showing up in file explorer?

I'm probably missing something obvious but any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

4 REPLIES 4
KnarfB
Principal III

If you set device manager view to "Devices by Connection" you should see an USB compound device consisting of 3 devices:

• ST-Link Debug
  • STLink Virtual COM Port
  • USB Mass Storage Device

This usually works. Try another USB 2.0 port / cable, uninstalling and re-installing the drivers.

You can use STM32CubeProgrammer to do a firmware upgrade of the ST-LINK chip on the board.

hth

KnarfB

Hello

As i understand, you use F4 discovery board.

There are two types of this board STM32F4DISCOVERY and STM32F407G-DISC1.

First has STLink V2, and second STLnk V2-A

If you have the first board it is not possible to have mass-storage or VC port.

In second case STLnk V2-A supposed to be mbed compatible. and has VC port and Mass-Storage Device.

In all cases FW must be upgraded to the latest version.

Thanks for your reply, I have the second type of board.

I have installed the following firmware update: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-programmers/stsw-link007.html

As well as installing the updates through the STM32CubeMX under the help>manage embedded software packages dropdown.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers specified in my original post and I have tried two different cables, but they don't seem to be the problem since the board is all lit up perfectly, it's just not appearing in file explorer.

Thanks for your reply.

I believe I've installed the firmware update both through STM32CubeMX and also from their website: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-programmers/stsw-link007.html

I've tried two different cables but I don't think this is the problem since the LEDs are all working properly so it should have a good connection.

With regards to the "Devices by Connection", when I switch to this view I don't see anything mentioning USB compound devices or STLink.

The only way I see anything related is under the default view "Devices by Type" and there's "STM32 STLink" under "Universal Serial Bus Devices".