cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeRTOS support on STM32MPU (cortex-A7)

darla14
Senior

Hello ,

New year 2021 Greetings:party_popper: ! Hope you all are doing great !

Looking at the FreeRTOS wiki , there is no support for Cortex - A7?

Is there an alternate port available for FreeRTOS for Cortex A7? or some customization for the same?

what is the recommendation?

Thanks and Regards,

Have a great Decade !!

D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello.

Tray to find RT-OS here CMSIS_5/CMSIS/RTOS2/Source at develop · ARM-software/CMSIS_5 (github.com)

Also, see my bare-metal project (without OS) running on A7 cores from 157-s: ua1arn/hftrx: Embedded firmware for ham radio transceivers (github.com)

STM32MP1 MPUs is a 32-bit processor.

I cant see cortex A7 in the link. - Cortex-A7 and A9 is a true compatible, Same interrupt handling, MMU and caches initialization,

Note: MMU is a required for enabling data cache write back feature,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KnarfB
Principal III

Getting a complex SoC like STM32MP1 booted is a quite complex task. Especially if you think of Boot ROM, DRAM, clock tree, caches (?), virtual (?) memory setup, boot peripherals (sd-card ? usb ? network ?) including file systems (?) etc. Its much more than just porting the FreeRTOS core code to Cortex-A7. For the latter, see also http://www.freertos.org/Using-FreeRTOS-on-Cortex-A-Embedded-Processors.html

OK , so i read it as "no support". I cant see cortex A7 in the link.

Do you suggest any other alternative to this?

one question - is STM32MPU arm64 or arm32?

Regards,

Hello.

Tray to find RT-OS here CMSIS_5/CMSIS/RTOS2/Source at develop · ARM-software/CMSIS_5 (github.com)

Also, see my bare-metal project (without OS) running on A7 cores from 157-s: ua1arn/hftrx: Embedded firmware for ham radio transceivers (github.com)

STM32MP1 MPUs is a 32-bit processor.

I cant see cortex A7 in the link. - Cortex-A7 and A9 is a true compatible, Same interrupt handling, MMU and caches initialization,

Note: MMU is a required for enabling data cache write back feature,

> one question - is STM32MPU arm64 or arm32?

The answer is written literally in the FIRST line of the datasheet! And you know that it's a Cortex-A7 - it's ARM home page, Wikipedia and Google gives an answer in seconds...

As Genadi said - A7 and A9 are compatible and it should be relatively easy to port the code. But Knarf already warned on the complexity. Especially with such information finding skills...

thanks @Genadi Zawidowski​  i will have a look on this.