cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to new Cube version

varani luciano
Associate III

Hi,

some year ago i loaded STM32CubeIDE_1.2.0 and the package STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.24.0 and i make some project (26).

Now I load STM32Cube32 1.5.0 and package STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.25.0.

The packages are loaded in the same area (Repository).

I try to import in different working area an old project and try open the .ior file.

The system say:

"The Firmware Package (STM32Cube FW_F4 V1.24.2) or one of its dependecies required by the Project is no available in your STM32CubeMX Repository"

you can donload the missing Firmware Package,

or you can migrate the project and work the latets version of the Firmware Package.

Download now or Migrate Project ?"

Firts I try to download.

The system try to download a file "stm32cube_db_v5050.zip" ; the download is executed (24.4MBytes); when teminated, (the blue bar is at extreme right)

the system attend some second (10) and say "Error downloading the following file stm32cube_db_v5050.zip (Timeout during download)".

Only one Botton "OK". No response from system .......

I search in the web "stm32cube_db_v5050.zip" ... nothing.

I search in the web "STM32Cube FW_F4 V1.24.2" ... nothing.

OK

I retray to view the .ior file and this time i try "migrate".

The migration had success only a little problem: is necessary a new compilation. This fact create new ".c" files ; the main is different I do work sometime to control every file (1 hour) .

The questions:

a) exist and where is stm32cube_db_v5050.zip ?

b) exist and what is STM32Cube FW_F4 V1.24.2 ? (2 final)

c) Is possible a way to use new versions of CUBE on old projects (without working some hour on the new project)?

Excuse me for my english , but you know, we have the Brexit (great for Europeans!)....

Many thanks and happy new year!

Luciano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello varani luciano,

The migration dialog text may be a little bit confusing, so let me first explain the message behind this warning pop up. In fact STM32CubeMX (same for STM32CubeIDE) detects if the project was created with an older version of the tool and if this is the case, it proposes the user to either migrate to use the latest STM32CubeMX database and STM32Cube firmware version, or to continue.

0693W000007B10HQAS.png 

Basically the message says ;The project was created with a MCU database and FW package that is not present in your repository. It exists actually a newer MCU database and Cube software than the one you used.

You may select continue to use original firmware used at project creation and in this case it will downloaded into your repository as well as the MCU and IPs database (stm32cube_db), or you may select migrate, and in this case your project will be modified to fit the current database definition.

When upgrading to a new version of STM32CubeMX, make sure to always backup your projects before loading the new project (especially when the project includes user code).

0693W000007B11oQAC.pngYou'll find more details about this option and all STM32CubeMX features in the STM32CubeMX User Manual .

Concerning STM32Cube FW_F4 V1.24.2, it is an old version of F4 Cube Firmware, the latest version is STM32Cube FW_F4 V1.25.2.

The installation can be performed using STM32CubeMX, all the packages available for download are displayed along with their version including the version currently installed on the user PC (if any).

To download new STM32 MCU packages, select Help > Manage embedded software packages to open the Embedded Software Packages Manager (see attached screenshot below).

0693W000007B15MQAS.pngYou can choose “From Local ...�?, then browse to select the zip file of the desired STM32Cube MCU package that has been previously downloaded. An integrity check is performed on the file to ensure that it is fully supported by STM32CubeMX.

I hope this clarify the migration process. If you have any other question do not hesitate to ask me.

Khouloud.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello varani luciano,

The migration dialog text may be a little bit confusing, so let me first explain the message behind this warning pop up. In fact STM32CubeMX (same for STM32CubeIDE) detects if the project was created with an older version of the tool and if this is the case, it proposes the user to either migrate to use the latest STM32CubeMX database and STM32Cube firmware version, or to continue.

0693W000007B10HQAS.png 

Basically the message says ;The project was created with a MCU database and FW package that is not present in your repository. It exists actually a newer MCU database and Cube software than the one you used.

You may select continue to use original firmware used at project creation and in this case it will downloaded into your repository as well as the MCU and IPs database (stm32cube_db), or you may select migrate, and in this case your project will be modified to fit the current database definition.

When upgrading to a new version of STM32CubeMX, make sure to always backup your projects before loading the new project (especially when the project includes user code).

0693W000007B11oQAC.pngYou'll find more details about this option and all STM32CubeMX features in the STM32CubeMX User Manual .

Concerning STM32Cube FW_F4 V1.24.2, it is an old version of F4 Cube Firmware, the latest version is STM32Cube FW_F4 V1.25.2.

The installation can be performed using STM32CubeMX, all the packages available for download are displayed along with their version including the version currently installed on the user PC (if any).

To download new STM32 MCU packages, select Help > Manage embedded software packages to open the Embedded Software Packages Manager (see attached screenshot below).

0693W000007B15MQAS.pngYou can choose “From Local ...�?, then browse to select the zip file of the desired STM32Cube MCU package that has been previously downloaded. An integrity check is performed on the file to ensure that it is fully supported by STM32CubeMX.

I hope this clarify the migration process. If you have any other question do not hesitate to ask me.

Khouloud.

Hi varani luciano,

I wonder if my post answers your question, if this this case, please click on the Select as Best button on my reply . This will help other members of the community find this solution more quickly 🙂

Khouloud.