cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SysTick, why not part of CMSIS? (NUCLEO-G070RB)

MEder
Associate III

So I have a NUCLEO-G070RB board here and I am not using the HAL library, but just CMSIS libraries.

I see the SysTick functions are part of the HAL not CMSIS. is there a particular reason? I would figure since it's part of the M0+ core it would be in CMSIS.

Unless I missed something somewhere...

ARM in new to me so go easy;)

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

>>Is there a particular reason?

Who knows, is it worth pondering, or can you just cut-n-paste the things you need and move forward?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

What is "CMSIS libraries"?

JW

Piranha
Chief II

Except for ISR itself, I can see only one SysTick function and it is a part of CMSIS:

https://www.keil.com/pack/doc/CMSIS/Core/html/group__SysTick__gr.html

And to be completely fair... System ticks as a part of a driver library is a bad idea. If any library needs such a functionality, it should use the system/OS/platform provided one. But there is the catch - Cube/HAL team is not even capable of analyzing and deciding what HAL is and what it isn't. Is it a low-level driver library or high-level platform API? Should it be thread-safe or not? In reality it's a bloatware of something from everything tossed together by careless beginners...

I found the defines in 'core_cm0.h'.

Thanks

Your right, It's not a Library but just header files. 'CMSIS Cortex-M0 Core Peripheral Access Layer Header File'

Thanks

This is what I was looking for. But I had over looked it somehow.

Not looking to reinvent the wheel here.

Thanks